Camper on an electric F-150

journeygirl

Hey there -

I've loved my Tacoma/ Eagle set up for years now. I'd sure love to switch to an all electric truck when they become available and when the charging station infrastructure is set up. Has anyone looked into putting a FWC on a new electric F-150? I'm wondering if my Eagle would fit with modifications or if another FWC would fit. I'm wondering if anyone else has researched this. Thanks!

I looked briefly at getting a F150 hybrid. The payload numbers weren't great so I went with a different model. I would take a look at the payload numbers. The other thing is range. Charging infrastructure is not really conducive to off grid activities.

I would want real world user numbers for towing/hauling, what if you can only go 100mi at a time with the extra weight and wind resistance? Even when the electrical infrastructure on the interstate system is well equipped you're going to run into issues in rural areas, esp. out west. Plus when you run out of juice you can't just fill a gas can. Do you have to bring along a generator incase you run out? I get annoyed with the 24gal tank on my expedition pulling a trailer. I was just in UT last month, went camping 50mi from the closest gas station, drove around that area 50+mi w/o the trailer then back out 50mi with the trailer, only had 1/4tank left. This is using a 3.5L ecoboost pulling 6500lb, gets 6-10mpg (varies that much depending on wind, water tank levels, etc., 8-9mpg is more typical).

No I've wondered about the case for folks that full time in their trailers and have LARGE solar arrays (2kw+) and are diligent about their movements if they could be self contained to recharge the truck between movements, might take over a week in decent sun to charge up. It would likely be a headache if ever needing to move far/fast because I bet the towing range on a large trailer is <100mi which would suck in my mind. BUT it's an interesting thought experiment. :)

Mileage is one reason why we have a Tundra with a 38 gallon fuel tank. Can go a lot of miles and can figure out where to buy gas at the best price. No more rotopax needed!

With batteries, the slower you go with many stops, the longer and farther a battery will last. That said, it's the build quality that will fail, off road. Literally thousands of solder joints in a vehicle battery and other connections, all of which are prone to heavy vibration. Think washboard roads in Death Valley and you will understand. Literally a jack hammer effect in a 3/4 or 1 ton vehicle.
EV on the street, Gas off road.....

It takes me ten minutes to "recharge" my gasoline vehicle after driving over 300 miles.

There are century old gasoline engines which still run just fine - I am not aware of any batteries that old that are still useful.

IT is easy to carry another 5-10 gallons of gasoline...how will you carry an additional few hundred pounds of batteries?

I've heard range is reduced quite a bit with towing and hauling extra weight. So you're right, it would be good to know how that affected.

Also you'll hear how cool it is to have 110V or plenty of power available (instead of cabin batteries). But that can also reduce range while you are frying eggs on your electric skillet.

We may need to learn more before jumping on the E-truck bandwagon. But I'll bet some day it'll make sense, if you can charge up at Stovepipe Wells, for example.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom