Camper storage

BozemanHawk

Wondering how people are storing their campers during the long winter. Or should we just head south??

We have the luxury of not storing it living in CA and will use it year round even in the snow. Had ours in Bozeman this past August if your name is any indication where you're from. 5 year old loved the Museum of the Rockies.

Ours will eventually end up in the garage on a dolly I made. We hope to get a couple more short trips in before we put it away for the winter. We pop the top and open the windows a bit to allow ventilation. Unfortunately, that means my truck gets left outside. I can get the camper, the car and the truck into the garage at the same time, but it takes more effort than I want to make on a daily basis- kind of like a life-size game of tetris. We decided it is better to have the camper inside over the winter.

Mine is on and off and I'll use it throughout the year. It'll be on for most of November since I have 2 4 day weekends coming up. It will be outside while on the truck. When it's off, it's stored inside.

As I live in a "Rustic" town I have a rustic garage, known as a dilapidated shed in more modern parts of the country. It houses mine when not in use though I use mine year around but less so in the winter. The big need for me is keeping the snow from piling up on it in the winter and the sun beating down on it in the summer. Otherwise it lives at standard atmospheric conditions.

Support is required when off truck and floating on the jacks :unsure:

Don't depend on a plywood floor and a few staples to hold 200 + lbs.

Cheers

We keep our Fleet in a community storage area for RV's and boats. We use the jacks but also support the floor with 4 stand jacks and 4x4's. The big issue for us is keeping the batteries topped off as there is no electricity in the storage lot. Solar panel will be added before it comes off after Thanksgiving. My preference would be to keep it on a dolly in the garage but our garage door is too low and the driveway too steep for that to be an option.

BozemanHawk said:
Wondering how people are storing their campers during the long winter. Or should we just head south??
I leave my camper on the truck 99% of the time -- I only use my truck for camper-purposes (99% of the time). And both live outside year round. I've done that ever since I've gotten the camper -- 8 years -- and there have been no leaks and no deterioration from being in the weather, none that I can see anyway. Winters in Bend, Oregon are probably less severe -- less snow -- than in Bozeman...but they're not mild.
And I camp in the winter (in cold climes, not south), another reason I don't unload the camper for the winter.

BozemanHawk said:
Anyone just store their camper on the jacks, or use additional support?
I think that "additional support" is needed if you go into the camper while it's on jacks.

Living in the hot Florida sun, we store the camper under our carport. We have the jacks all the way down and the camper sitting on pallets. When it's not too humid, we pop the top and air it out. Amazingly enough, it doesn't get damp or musty in there.

BozemanHawk said:
Boze,

This, my friend is why we own FWC's:

Never a need to take it off, and the best feature (in my opinion) of owning one...

BozemanHawk said:
Anyone just store their camper on the jacks, or use additional support?
When I unload mine I put it on 3 full width stands that are really just 3 short saw horses. I do leave the jacks down also.

I have a cohort in camping who put his Keystone on a Harbor Freight type trailer to roll it under his carport when not in use. Worked well actually.

Here on the central coast of Ca.My main concern is the salt air from the fog and the sap from the tree that is high over part of the truck.During times of long non use I have a tarp for the truck and another with a space cut out for the solar panel on the camper.The camper is on the truck 100%. Don't even have jacks.
The cutout for the solar works well,keeps both the camper and truck battery charged up.I also fill the water tank and add a tablespoon of bleach.
When ready to use in spring I empty and flush the water tank.
What do others do with their water tanks,in non freezing areas?
Frank

Since I live in a non freezing area I just try and dump and refill the tank monthly. More often if I'm camping of course.

idahoron said:
Mine is on my truck until death they do part. Ron
Yep---that's how I feel too -never off, so I can always go-no matter what, but if i lived in some other places, maybe I would have no option but to store it. Living up here in NE California, I just have to make sure not to leave water in the system when I'm not off "Wandering the West "in my WTC :D !

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom