Camper use in winter

We are going to make good use of our new FWC Grandby (to be delivered around 12/8 or 9) by packing it up and heading to Baja in January until approx April 1.

That's my idea of winter camping. We've been going down there since 1992, two weeks at first and now that were retired we go for 2-3 months. We've done 3 trips in our '86 VW Vanagon and 15 with our '98 FWC Ranger II shell model, the last four pulling a 17' Casita Trailer. We're trying a new approach this year, a new Grandby and a 6' Ruger Offroad Trailer. There is a lot of Baja we still haven't seen.

Someday we hope to leave by December 1st and stay through April.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1480056201.177711.jpg
This is how I've been going about it this winter. Kinda ridiculous, I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

ImageUploadedByWander The West1480056317.451659.jpg
The ladder is for clearing snow and accessing the skis to make room inside the camper. It's my first winter with the camper and just getting started with it the last few weeks. Couldn't be happier!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Being retired :D ,and living in the Northern -and sometimes-very snowy-Great Basin high desert in NE California, but not a big cross country skier any more, I still head out come fall-winter-spring to the woods, up to some GB lake in the middle of nowhere, maybe south to the hot desert or coast when I get that "gotta go somewhere" feeling (bi-weekly)and just camp! How-because of my heater and arctic blanket keep me and the dog nice and warm :p ! Why-usually no or few people, it's nice and quiet out there and "exploring" in the winter is great fun, especially if you have a 4x4 to get you in or out just in case that unplanned for winter storm catches you ! If you can't get right out-or find that nice spot full of nice things to look at and do, especially near hot springs-you just hanker down, turn the heater up, find (or not) a good XM station, make a drink (or cup of coffee) read your book and think about those days when you were a back packer with no heater and drank cold beer! Something about the wind/snow howling away at night, in the middle of nowhere is what it is all about (especially if you are nice and warm)!!!

Yep, sounds corny, but Pop-ups and Fall-Winter-Spring WTWing seem made for each other!

Smoke

Smoke

I like your post Smokecreek1 about Camper use in winter! Sound's like the winter blanket outside the comfort of a FWC is right out of a book. Enjoy your winter sir.
Russ

X2 Smokecreek1...we really enjoy reminiscing about our backpacking days while sipping hot drinks in our warm Hawk. I'm heading into the Great Basin and then to Southern Utah in a few weeks.

Also, I like winter camping, cuz you see and experience the same campsite, mountains, landscape and wildlife activity in a whole different way during the one season to another...summer vs. winter.

Yep-but ya have to have that arctic/thermal pack liner or it could get a bit cold and/or noisy at night! I remember right after I got my pop-up I had to spend some time in January at a cg outside of Reno, in the midst of one of those super cold and snowy northern zephyr type storms! I had to chop the ice off of the roof before I could get it up-anyway- I hardly ever use my heater once I hit the rack but that night I had to keep the heater on all night and used up a half tank of propane. I don't know what was worse waking up every time that dang thermostat came on or having my nose freeze off :p ! I bought my thermal pack right after that and have been toasty warm since! Life is sure hard for a year round camper----but somebody has got to do it :) !

Smoke

We have a little snow in northern Wisconsin, and will be heading up to ski in the next few weeks. Not using the water tank, for obvious reasons, but we'll turn on the furnace and enjoy alitttle heat. We have plans to make Arctic curtains, but for right now we're experimenting with the rigid quilted foil insulation across the pop up. Velcoed into place in long sections, and separate sections near the Windows it could be good for colder conditions. Storage will be easy, under the mattress or layed on top of the bed.

Ya ... we too use it to store the 150 lbs of bird seed. Safe and sound in there. (W live in snowy New England and the camper is tucked away in the garage.

We will be taking our new Grandby from Salt Lake to Denver on Dec. 20 or 21 to pick up our new Ruger Trailer. We will not be using the water system, but would like to use the cassette toilet. I plan on filling it with RV antifreeze, but wonder if I can dilute it down and not have freezing problems. What would you do?

camper rich said:
We will be taking our new Grandby from Salt Lake to Denver on Dec. 20 or 21 to pick up our new Ruger Trailer. We will not be using the water system, but would like to use the cassette toilet. I plan on filling it with RV antifreeze, but wonder if I can dilute it down and not have freezing problems. What would you do?
Don't put water in the toilet tank, but add it from a bottle to the bowl as needed. Do put the antifreeze in your black water cassette. That's our routine for the Northern Lite.

Please do give us a write up (photos!!) on your new Ruger trailer. If been thinking about one for a couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom