Camping suggestions near Downeyville, Ca?

Sam

Looking for camping suggestions near Downeyville ca. The more private the better, rather not stay at a "real" campground but will if thats the best option. Not looking to drive too far off the beaten path as we are just looking for a one night base camp for an event in Downeyville.

Thanks.

I live in Nevada City, so that's pretty close to home for me.
I like Wild Plum Campground just above Sierra City, so maybe 30 min. drive
from your event. It is a regular campground, but not on the highway 49, like all the
other sites near Downieville.

Looking for camping suggestions near Downeyville ca. The more private the better, rather not stay at a "real" campground but will if thats the best option. Not looking to drive too far off the beaten path as we are just looking for a one night base camp for an event in Downeyville.

Thanks.

I live in Nevada City, so that's pretty close to home for me.
I like Wild Plum Campground just above Sierra City, so maybe 30 min. drive
from your event. It is a regular campground, but not on the highway 49, like all the
other sites near Downieville.

There is a forest service road about 1/2 mile west of Downievilee.

It leads to a fire look out. There are several places you could pull over and camp.
That road leads to an old gold mine camp where people still mine today and find gold.

Marc's right, the road leaves Downieville and climbs a somewhat graded climb up to the Saddleback Lookout.
We used to call that area the 'B Tree'. The Chimney Rock trail starts up there for an amazing mountain bike ride all the way back to Downieville.

If you have time for a side route, consider visiting Forest City via Mountain House Rd from Goodyear's Bar. It's a small community of mining era cabins, including the original dance hall and other historical bldgs. You can then return to Hwy 49 on Pliocene Ridge Rd to head back home.

There is a forest service road about 1/2 mile west of Downievilee.

It leads to a fire look out. There are several places you could pull over and camp.
That road leads to an old gold mine camp where people still mine today and find gold.

Thanks everyone for the replies, exactly what I was looking for. I'll check out Wild plum & the Saddleback Lookout sounds good, but the reason I am going to Downeyville is for a mountain bike race, it sounds like the road up to the lookout is also the beginning of the race route, so probably won't be open? I'll check it out anyways.

Thanks all,
Sam

If you're racing/riding the Downieville Classic, I believe the start is in Sierra City, which is about 2 miles west of Wild Plum. My guess is the campgrounds along there will be packed that weekend. Best to try and do dispersed camping out of Downieville and any of the numerous USFS roads in the area.

If you're racing/riding the Downieville Classic, I believe the start is in Sierra City, which is about 2 miles west of Wild Plum. My guess is the campgrounds along there will be packed that weekend. Best to try and do dispersed camping out of Downieville and any of the numerous USFS roads in the area.

Thanks Desert Dawg, you are right it does start out of Sierra City, My mistake. Sounds like it will be a zoo. Oh well hopefully I can find a side road that will do the trick.

Thanks to all.

Hey I just noticed it was your first post. Welcome & I'm honored to have been your first reply.

Back
Top Bottom