Camping with infants - Scott?

pods8

Contributors
Scott I know you were taking your young'n on the trails (he had a little bed to prevent him rolling off the couch if I recall), what age did you start heading out with him?

Scott I know you were taking your young'n on the trails (he had a little bed to prevent him rolling off the couch if I recall), what age did you start heading out with him?

This past weekend:
sleepin.jpg

At 9 months we tent camped. We got the big furnace (think camper!) when he was 13 months. But I don't see any reason you couldn't camp sooner.

He sleeps in an el cheapo "Travel Bed" (link,link). I have the first one, but ended up cutting the bottom to look like the second once he got longer/taller. I strategically placed our clothing duffels so he would fall onto them if he got himself rolled out of the bed. (There is a strap on the bottom of the travel bed that I ran under the cusion to keep it in place.)

When he was mobile and unstable it was rough. He could still hurt himself in the camper. He had to sleep in the upper bunk w/ us, but still in his travel bed. On my latest trip -- last weekend -- he is back to sleeping on the couch below, still in his travel bed. At about 2.5 I'm no longer worried about him rolling out since he sleeps in a "bed boy bed" at home.

Warm pjs are a necessity!

For some reason I thought I recalled him being much younger in the pictures I guess.

For some reason I thought I recalled him being much younger in the pictures I guess.

Yep. He looks little. Of course, there's no reason you can't take a real little guy. You just need to keep 'em safe, warm, and fed...! Which can be a lot to ask...

At 2.5, we often go with friends with similar aged kiddos. And we take digger trucks. Camping is FUN for the little guy.

Roger, just putting some thought to our summer, likely we'll play it by ear once we figure out what we're dealing with.

We did the same eddie bauer portable bed thing for a trip or two as well. At 11 months now, he is mobile and would probably be in the bed with us. I think even at 7 months he was mobile (crawling) and we kept him in the bed with us when we camped.

We have contemplated fabbing up a safety rail that would run along the couch so that he couldn't roll off the couch, but have not gotten around to it yet.

We have contemplated fabbing up a safety rail that would run along the couch so that he couldn't roll off the couch, but have not gotten around to it yet.

Me too!!!! But if you procrastinate long enough...

Me too!!!! But if you procrastinate long enough...

At 2.5 if he falls off the couch call it a learning experience. :p

Back
Top Bottom