Can 2014 Tacoma (dclb) w/FWC also tow a trailer?

hoyden

Lady Bug
I have a 2014 Tacoma DCLB + tow package and a Four Wheel Camper pretty fully outfitted Fleet.
OME heavy duty suspension, Airbags, and BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s.

The camper puts me at bed weight limit pretty much. Does that mean that I can't also tow something?
Not sure how that maths up.

(I have two motorcycles + some gear I wanna haul from Missouri to Arizona)

I think tow capacity and bed load are related, but as long as you are rated for towing the weight of the trailer AND the added weight in the bed, it may work out.

I have a Colorado rated for 7000LBs towing (Duramax Diesel and factory tow package). With my loaded Phoenix - about the size of a Swift - I was easily able to tow a trailer full of furniture over the Canadian Rockies. Estimate the trailer only being 2500LBs loaded though.

Not sure what the Tacos are rated to tow, nor the weight of your loaded trailer, but I would have been comfortable towing 4000LBs easy, and 5-6000LBS if needed with my camper loaded. But one of the reasons why I bought the Colorado was so I could tow a boat or trailer with my camper loaded. YMMV

Thanks, michgoblue!

Max tow weight for my Taco = 6,400 lbs
Max tongue weight = 640 lbs
Max payload weight = 1,330 lbs
GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) = 5,500 lbs (I think that's how much the vehicle weighs + payload weight?)

Okay, so my Gross Combined Weight Rating is 11,100lbs
Is that Tow + Tongue + Payload weights combined?
or Tow + Tongue + Payload + Vehicle combined?
or something else?

hoyden said:
Thanks, michgoblue!

Max tow weight for my Taco = 6,400 lbs
Max tongue weight = 640 lbs
Max payload weight = 1,330 lbs
GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) = 5,500 lbs (I think that's how much the vehicle weighs + payload weight?)

Okay, so my Gross Combined Weight Rating is 11,100lbs
Is that Tow + Tongue + Payload weights combined?
or Tow + Tongue + Payload + Vehicle combined?
or something else?
GCWR= total weight of everything- truck, payload (including passengers and gear), trailer (loaded)

Your truck with camper and gear probably weighs over your GVWR by a few hundred pounds based on my experience. Your trailer plus load should probably be less than 4000 lbs for bit of safety margin. Less would be better. If the trailer weighs more than 3000 pounds loaded, you will probably want a trailer with brakes.

Trailer tongue weight gets subtracted from the payload. You might want to weigh your truck with the camper and gear to see what your actual weight is. You might be surprised.

I have actually weighed my truck + camper. I don't talk about it. :ninja:

I think I can easily do a 3000 lb or less trailer, but I do like the idea of one with it's own brakes anyway.

The two bikes are about 715 lbs together, wet weight.

An enclosed 6 x12 (Uhaul) trailer weighs 1920 lbs.
With just the bikes, I'd be at 2635~

An enclosed 5 x 10 (Uhaul) weighs 1250 lbs
So that'd have me at 1965 with just the bikes

Hmmm. I hadn't thought about looking for one with brakes! Yah!

Interesting about the tongue weight! Good to know!

Thanks for the info, takesiteasy!

Yes, as was said above the GCWR is the whole enchilada as you roll down the road.

As far as brakes on a trailer goes each state has their own requirements. For example here in VA brakes are required on any trailer over 2000 pounds and given that you have a relatively small truck to start with I would reccomend brakes if at all possible.

smlobx said:
Yes, as was said above the GCWR is the whole enchilada as you roll down the road.

As far as brakes on a trailer goes each state has their own requirements. For example here in VA brakes are required on any trailer over 2000 pounds and given that you have a relatively small truck to start with I would reccomend brakes if at all possible.
I found this handy AAA reference: http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/

That AAA link is useful. Under the "Select a Law" menu I found nothing related to campers, just trailers. I would like to find what laws exist, if any, regarding overweight campers. The only thing I found so far is a lawyer blog that says in most states it is unlawful to operate a vehicle that does not comply with the manufacturers safety specifications.

Trailers:
Small ones need no brakes
Medium ones can use surge brakes
Then you need electric brakes with a controller for the driver.

Your State Vehicle Code as well as your VIN tag and those handy Weigh Station receipts (State authorized of course) will enable you to sort out what you will be required to have.

Hi Dawn
Have you looked at the open trailers that ars setup for hauling m/c. You would save some weight as there is no top. Plus securing bikes is easier.
GCWR
It's important to remember that the GCWR is not an actual measurement of the weight of a tow vehicle and a trailer, but rather the combined maximum weight limit that the manufacturer has set for the two vehicles once attached.
DOT officer will look at truck info in the door, then look at trailer info on mfgr data plate. GVWR+(trailer)GWR<= GCWR

Pretty much it unless you are on scales. Being legal and safe areup to you to load appropriately within those limits. Electric trailer brakes require controller in cab don't recall seeing that option for rental trailers ( does not mean they are not out there I just don't rember seeing them) Surge breaks work from the towed trailer pushing against the truck when breaking, this pushes a mechanism causing the trailer breaks to activate hydraulically. Use care descending mountains trailer brakes stay on cause the trailer is constantly trying to push the truck.

Something to read. ( got the above definition from here)
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/vehicle%20/gcwr.htm

Russ

Hi Russ,

Yep, got the whole concept of GCWR figured out last page ;)
and I definitely don't want a large trailer!

The drive from here to Phx for the most part is pretty even, but coming down I40 then down through Payson, while an absolutely beautiful ride, is also 'comin down the mountain' and twisty. Taking a longer route and heading down I-17 from Flagstaff is less twisty, but much faster (70mph on that crazy downhill highway).

I'll have to look up what is entailed in installing a brake controller inside my truck. I agree about not seeing the option for rental trailers with brakes. I don't really want to buy a trailer - they are a hassle to store... hm.

I might end up shipping my stuff with a Uhaul UBox. Though can't put motorcycles in there. (won't fit)
Then the idea would be to rent a trailer and haul the two motorcycles and nothing else.
Hmmmm

Dawn,

Check with etrailer for electric brake controllers specific to your truck & watch the installation videos. If you have the factory towing package, it may be an easy plug in & mount the controller somewhere convenient. It was that easy on my Tundra.

The important thing is to go through the brake calibration procedure when you hook up a different trailer or load so that the correct amount of trailer braking is applied.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom