Can floor stringers be removed to lower Hawk camper ?

DavidGraves

Howdy

My 2012 Hawk shell model rides high in my 1997 Toyota T100 Access cab 4WD.

I am trying to learn the FWC gospel on whether any of the 5/8" plywood stringers can be removed to get a better fit.....camper is currently 4 1/2 inches above side of truck bed.

There are four rows of three stacked 5/8" ply installed front to back.

I have searched but not really found FWC's guidance on this.

Many thanks

DavidGraves

North Oregon coast

My Hawk just had one stringer, so I would imagine you can at least remove 3 of them.

Others with more knowledge and experience may chime in in the meantime.

Another advantage of the strings is that they keep the bottom of your camper up off the bed. That extends the life of the paint and is a benefit for those who have their camper in fulltime. Jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Thanks to both.

I only want to lower the unit for a better fit.

It DOES seem surprisingly hard to find out the structural layout for the camper.....I sure wish there was some sort of schematic view of the structure itself.

I want to retain at least one thickness stringer along the bottom but the truck bed fit now is just too high.

I think I searched the forum for this info but maybe not the correct search terms.

I tend to try to do what the designer or OEM allows rather than just my own thing.

I am retired from carpentry/cabinet work....NOT camper building.

If removing the stringers will weaken it all then we will live with it as is.

Welcome any other thoughts on this.

DavidGraves

David,

The topic of no schematic drawings or even sequential photos during a build has been hashed and hashed with no relief in sight.

FWC is way overloaded with orders and our request for diagrams of internal structural members, plumbing and electrical systems go unanswered. Just not a priority for them right now.

My guess is that your best source is to call FWC with specific questions and offer to send photos or receive photos if appropriate.

Good luck!

Phil

Stringers were placed on the bottoms of FWC's and ATC's floor pacs to raise the campers to fit over the truck bed walls, not for strength. Mine came with none and you should be able to remove yours with no ill effects. Keep in mind that the campers are not meant to be walked in without support under the entire floor pac--with or without stringers.

DavidGraves said:
Howdy

I am trying to learn the FWC gospel on whether any of the 5/8" plywood stringers can be removed to get a better fit.....camper is currently 4 1/2 inches above side of truck bed.

Many thanks

DavidGraves

North Oregon coast Did you but this new?

Welcome Dave to the group.
Did you buy the Hawk new or used?
As Stew said the stringers are added to raise the camper to fit the deeper beds of newer trucks.
I have a 09 ATC Bobcat in a 1st gen Tundra so the bed is only 16" deep and the camper fits without raising it,but if I wanted to place it on a newer truck with a deeper bed I would also have to add some stringers to clear the bed rails.
Good luck with your camper fit.
Frank

Many thanks to all.

We bought this 2012 Hawk shell from original owner.

I will make a proper introduction later....looks like an excellent group and pleased to join.

DavidGraves

DavidGraves said:
Many thanks to all.

We bought this 2012 Hawk shell from original owner.

I will make a proper introduction later....looks like an excellent group and pleased to join.

DavidGraves
The original owner may have had the truck on a deep bed,so the stringers are needed.
Frank

Doug Stewart said:
Stringers were placed on the bottoms of FWC's and ATC's floor pacs to raise the campers to fit over the truck bed walls, not for strength. Mine came with none and you should be able to remove yours with no ill effects. Keep in mind that the campers are not meant to be walked in without support under the entire floor pac--with or without stringers.
Stew is right on. You can go down to the one layer of plywood that makes the floor of your camper.

There were two stringers on my 2015 Hawk flatbed but we ordered them with just one. Then we filled in the remaining 5/8" space with 3/4 rigid foam and bolted 'er down. I'm sure you could removed at least two of the stringers.

But call or write Stan. He is very good on requests. (Not so good on working drawings/ schematics.) :(

I'm pretty sure it's ok as many of the FWC/ATC campers didn't have any stringers on them when delivered and they (like mine) just had the sheet of plywood on the bottom. In fact, when I bought my camper (used), it had been on the original truck for 9 years and never taken off and it was on the plywood. The plywood was/is in excellent shape even though I repainted everything last year.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I have a 2015 Hawk and my overhang is the same as yours, it doesn't look great, but it can have a purpose! I built an L bracket and installed it under the overhang to store my 2"x2'x4' camp table. I'll try to upload an image. Also, on my Hawk, there is a lip that hangs down below the door that is protected by that 5/8" stringer. I do think the stringers offer good abrasion and water protection for the floor of the camper. First time I removed my camper (after 8 months use) all looked new except the bottom of the stringers, I then sprayed them with bed liner for the summer install.

Don't know that 5/8" will make any real difference in the long run, I added a Yakima wind deflector to blow wind and rain over the top and to keep bugs off, it works.

Just a few thoughts, now to see if I can upload an image, have never done it. Just noticed you were talking about the bed rail not the bed overhang!

Brian FWCTable3.jpg

DavidGraves said:
Howdy

Many thanks

DavidGraves

North Oregon coast
David,

Welcome to the group!

I will toss my 2¢ worth in. I see the plywood stringers as sacrificial elements, keeping the plywood bottom off the truck bed, and drier. I would prefer to replace a couple of stringers, to having to replace the floor. Like others, I also use the gap between the bed rails and camper to reach in and store bulky things that are difficult to feed in through the tie down access panels.

Steve

BrianG said:
Hello Brian

Thanks for the reply.

I had, in fact, considered using the 8 " between truck cab and the bed platform for storage.

I have a very lightweight plastic box that would fit nicely and even perhaps provide some air
fairing qualities....would stow lightweight toys....kayak paddles etc., maybe PFD's.

Can you point out any limitations to weight carrying below the bed platform.....? Our combined sleeping weight is around 425 lbs.

My thought would be to have truck cab support most of load.

DavidGraves

DavidGraves said:
So, you are saying "stacked", resulting in 3 x 0.625" = 1.875" or 1 7/8" lift?

As other posters have commented, the stringers offer a buffer to the potentially wet truck bed, and can provide lift to fit newer trucks. My '08 Hawk came with one layer of stringers, which is just just about right. However, the '06 Tundra cab is quite a bit lower than the bed overhang of the FWC. I added a wind fairing and have a shallow basket we use in the space.

You could go bare plywood or go with a single layer stringer, which is my preference.

BrianG said:
Hi and welcome to the forum. I have a 2015 Hawk and my overhang is the same as yours, it doesn't look great, but it can have a purpose! I built an L bracket and installed it under the overhang to store my 2"x2'x4' camp table. I'll try to upload an image. Also, on my Hawk, there is a lip that hangs down below the door that is protected by that 5/8" stringer. I do think the stringers offer good abrasion and water protection for the floor of the camper. First time I removed my camper (after 8 months use) all looked new except the bottom of the stringers, I then sprayed them with bed liner for the summer install.

Don't know that 5/8" will make any real difference in the long run, I added a Yakima wind deflector to blow wind and rain over the top and to keep bugs off, it works.

Just a few thoughts, now to see if I can upload an image, have never done it. Just noticed you were talking about the bed rail not the bed overhang!

Brian
attachicon.gif
FWCTable3.jpg
That looks pretty tight. No rubbing?

First, I apologize for mistakenly going off topic. But to answer David and Vic's questions about my under bed bracket. Vic, there is a good 1 1/2" remaining, so no possibility of cab roof contact. David the weight of the angle bracket is 28 lbs and the camp table is 23 lbs (Lifetime table from Costco), but the table is never under the bed when we are sleeping, but it shouldn't matter. I used 1/4" 6061 aluminum, when 1/8" at half the weight would have been adequate. The 1/4" angle I used would probably hold a couple hundred of lbs of weight?

I thought about asking FWC about the bracket and weight but didn't get around to it.

Back
Top Bottom