Canvas Replacement Material

Grebnexul

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a 1983 Fleet for $500. I'm working on a full tear down and rebuild of the interior and exterior. The canvas needs replacing too. I've done a lot of sewing in the past making outdoor gear including sleeping quilts, tarps, and backpacks so I'm no stranger to large projects. I have some older 1950s all metal singer machines I can use for sewing the canvas. My question is if anyone has any recommendations of materials which would be appropriate for sewing at home to replace the canvas? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Grenexul,

Congratulations on your Fleet purchase, and best of luck on your rebuild. Below is the link to the part of rebuilding a 1981 Grandby, shortened to a Hawk dimension, regarding making the side liner as a DIY project, and the installation. I didn’t video mine as the link to Tim above, but there’s plenty of pictures and text that might be of help, along with information on purchase of materials from Sailrite, and other things I encountered. I highly recommend checking out the how-to videos on Sailrite’s web sight, and I especially liked their basting tape, as it’s high quality, and has never ever seeped out of any seems, even in very hot weather.

Feel free to PM me if there’s any way I can be of help.

Poky

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/12116-full-build-reconstructing-a-1981-grandby-into-a-custom-hawk/page-12

We have done 2 (my wife has the industrial machines).. use the old canvas as template to see how the screens are sewed..

We used two different thicknesses and realized the first one was a little too thick (not a big deal, just a little hard to fold up).. Our build is also below in my signature..

Its a great project, rewarding and challenging but so worth it..

I would add that if you do it yourself, make sure you see/test the window installation of newer models of FWC and ATC and maybe others. There are some good and some design flaws that make water leakage more problematic. I'd also see if I could add thicker material on the corner edges (where it normally wears) and any D ring installation areas.

Back
Top Bottom