Central Oregon birds, bugs & flowers and experimenting with infrared

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty
We took a relatively short trip to the Steens, the Alvord Playa and the Ochoco mountains. There were birds, butterflies, flowers, magnificent mountains, broad vistas and mosquitos. Lots of clouds making it perfect to try out my infrared converted Nikon D810 camera. Big fun all around. If you like wildflowers, the big summit prairie and little summit prairie can't be beat at this time of year. Staggering diversity and abundance.

Hope you like the photos: Spring 22024 Oregon

Thanks for the great photos! Have not been in those areas for a number of years now, need to get back!

Nice collection. You covered a lot of ground on this trip. Love the ponderosa/flowers shot from the Ochocos.

Nice collection. You covered a lot of ground on this trip. Love the ponderosa/flowers shot from the Ochocos.
Thanks! There were flowers everywhere we went it seems. The walk downstream of Riddle Ranch to the confluence was like a steam bath with flowering shrubs and a gazillion insects of all kinds. Big fun!

Thanks for the great photos! Have not been in those areas for a number of years now, need to get back!
The drive out to Willow Creek hot spring in the southern Alvord was worth the many miles of dirt. Really fascinating country.

That is a nice spot. Did you see the lump of mud that was once the pony express station?
Why yes we did. Not much going on there but collapsing walls. I asked my better haIf if she wanted to stop & look. Nope, one set of crumbling old walls looks alot like any other. I was surprised about how much water was in the creek. We were both impressed with how fat all the cattle were.

Thanks for all the flower IDs--I love them but often don't know the names.

I do however know the birds, and your ibis is a White-faced, not a Glossy. Glossy on east coast US only, I believe. The key is the white goes all the way around the eye in the White-faced, and not all the way around in the Glossy.

Attachments

• White-facedIbis.jpg
    White-facedIbis.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 5
  • GlossyIbis.jpg
    GlossyIbis.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for all the flower IDs--I love them but often don't know the names.

I do however know the birds, and your ibis is a White-faced, not a Glossy. Glossy on east coast US only, I believe. The key is the white goes all the way around the eye in the White-faced, and not all the way around in the Glossy.
Thanks Sagefemme. I made the correction. That is very helpful. I know rocks and geology and am learning plants but am often wrong about birds.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom