Chains

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
I got into a tricky spot in a steep muddy road last month. Made me think I ought to be carrying chains. I've never used chains for off-road use. Does anyone else carry chains, and if so what kind are good for off-road use?

I don't carry them. I'm not sure how well they work in mud. I've usually heard of using them more for snow and ice.

A good aggressive tread, a locker or limited slip, a sand ladder, hi lift and winch are more along the lines of what I would suggest.

Having said that, the Jeep runs BFG ATs, Rear Detroit, Front Limited Slip, Hi lift and Winch.

The truck, BFT ATs, rear limited slip, open front. Eventually I would like to outfit the truck with offroad front and rear bumpers, sliders, hi - lift and perhaps a winch. I don't usually take it anywhere that I've need the others yet, but it is nice to have to increase the safety margin.

Something else that I forgot to mention is suspension. A flexible suspension goes a long way to helping you keep traction as well. Flexible enough to move over obstacles and keep traction, but no so flexible that it keeps you from getting power to the ground in mud etc.

Kyle

Chains can work in those situations. Fairly cheap. Heavy and take up storage space. If you're stuck I'd certainly try them.

We carry the cheapo wire chains. Having lived may years in snow climates, it irks the hell out of me to have to chain up to go through the southern passes when I have 4WD and snow tires, so the el cheapos are the easiest to put on. On the other hand, having used the wire chains to get our old hippie wagon (VW bus for those of later generations) out of mud and up steep terrain, I'm quite happy to carry the wire chains with us - and they are light weight and don't take up as much space as (still much better) link chains.

During the winter I carry a full set of 4 heavy duty link type chains. Each pair fits in a wide 50 cal ammo can - make sure it's a "wide" 50 as they won't fit in the standard 50 cal cans. They are heavy but don't take up too much room. I only use them when the snow is very deep as I've never been able to get my truck stuck in the mud "yet". They are a pain to put on but they make my truck crawl through pretty much anything like a tractor. Try putting them on from the top of the tire instead of laying them out & driving over them - an old trucker showed me that trick & it seems to be easier.

I have a set of the cable chains in my work truck & they are easier to put on. I've only used them twice - once for 5 miles of unmaintained ice covered road to get to a job & once to get back out of a job in deep snow. They worked great in the ice but not nearly the traction as link chains in deep snow & soft ground. That said they did get me back out which I couldn't do with the all season tires that were on that truck even in FWD.

Doug

Carry a full set of heavy chains in the winter. I figure its insurance. Haven't had to use them on the trucks but was a lifesaver years back on another 4x4.

Chains? I haven't had a set of tire chains for 25 years, since the last 2WD vehicle was sold. If I can't get there on four studded snow tires than the weather's too bad to enjoy it anyway and I need to stay home and do snow removal. Now as to mud, I rarely choose to drive through any but I'm sure a good set of heavy chains would help greatly.

Log skidders use chains summer and winter in the mucky eastern woods where I grew up. I once drowned a Honda trailbike up to the handlebars in a mudhole left by the ruts of one of those guys.

Them chains act like paddles and tend to self-clean better than tractor tread.

Nowadays the loggers put down temporary bridges to save the wetlands.

this time of year i put at least one pair in the truck. if i'm going offroading then i'll carry 2 pair just in case of icy/snow conditions. The recent snowstorm in southern ca is a good example why to carry chain "insurance"

I use scc quick grip std steel link chains for lt trucks. http://www.scc-chain.com/index_2.html
They are the cam lock type but i also use a chain tightener band as well. You have to keep wheel speed down though.

I think they were around $70 for a 33x12.5x15 tire size. The cable type are better than nothing but not as good as chains for offroad use.

They have gotten me where i have wanted to go many times. Without chains the m/t tires just spin or slide the truck sideways to the edge of the mtn trail :eek: MTRs or BFG M/Ts just fill up with mud/slush when its really cold out in my experience.

Onroad when CHP asks "got chains" you can say yep and they let you by.

DLN ! arent studs illegal in Truckee?

i carry chains....they work in off road situations....mostly in climbing slopes too steep where tires tend to spin.

Jeff,

They are legal November through April and they will let us run them around here mid October to mid May without any hassles.

Back
Top Bottom