Charging camper from the truck

Beach

Had my hawk mounted on a 06 tundra for the last few yrs. I ran the camper charge lead from the truck battery through a breaker to the camper. I recently bought a 2012 f250, truck is equipped with a tow package with auto battery isolator. I'm thinking about hooking up the camper to the truck electrical(12v) via the 7 pin connector at the hitch, does anyone here have theirs set up that way, are there any drawbacks to this method, or is there another point to tie in at(mid frame connector maybe). I'm not solely dependent on the truck charging the camper as there is solar also. Thanks

That is exactly how my truck/camper is set up ('12 F350/Hallmark). It's a 5th wheel harness that has the 7 pin connector extended back to the front of the bed where the camper connects. You can get the harness from many sources, here's one...

It's actually a 30A circuit, only hot with engine running, designed for battery charging in trailers, works great in mine.

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Bargman/50-97-410.html

I don't think it's easily accessible along the frame, here's wiring info for the E/F (Vans/pick ups) series showing circuits and locations on the frame

Dropbox - Error - Simplify your life

I'm going to do the same thing, changing out the Attwood plug for a good quality 7 pin. Send me a note if you need to know how the camper wiring is configured, I will send you the email from FWC service.

Can you please explain the benefit of the seven pin plug over the wood plugs that FWC recommends?

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

fireball said:
Can you please explain the benefit of the seven pin plug over the wood plugs that FWC recommends?
Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West
No benefit, that's just what is in my new truck, and my other camper is configured that way. It's easier to put a 7 pin on the Grandby than to run a second circuit.

Back
Top Bottom