Chevy Volt

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
So I think the final Volt styling is pretty neat looking. And while the sticker price of 41,000 is steep, the lease rate from Chevy is going to be 2,500 down and 350 a month - not bad.

http://www.chevrolet.com/pages/open/default/future/volt.do

volt01.jpg

As long as you are willing to pay the price, go a little higher, 49k, and go with a Tesla. Speed and styling more like an Aston Martin and a longer range.

Tesla Model S

Chevy already had a electric car out back in the day, no reason it took this long and costs this much for the volt in my mind.

The wife and I have been keeping an eye on the Nissan Leaf. We don't drive much outside of the happy valley so range is not a big deal. I personally would like to see a electric pick-up truck. Something with a 75 mile real world range would be perfect for me.

mike

I believe the government may be offering tax rebates in the area of 7k on this vehicle which may make the purchase more attractive.

I've been casually watching this company: http://aptera.com/ for a few years (about as long as I have been following the Volt). Their website is not up-to-date with their latest news letter and unfortunately, I already deleted their most recent e-mail. IIRC, they recently achieved 137 MPG and are in the running for the X-prize for a fuel efficient commuter car. It won't carry a camper, but it could serve many of my daily uses.

the lease rate from Chevy is going to be 2,500 down and 350 a month - not bad.

Let me quote the smartest guy I know :)

I wonder how much nightly charging will run up the electric bill?

I know a guy at work who built an all-electric car (from an old Toyota, using 10 Trojan SCS220 batteries). He did a good job, and it was cool.
The effective cost-per-mile of electricity to run the car -- the cost of the kwh (in Bend, Oregon) to charge the batteries divided by their typical 40-mile range -- was a small fraction of the cost-per-mile of gasoline (I don't remember the figures, though).
However, it gets pretty cold in Bend in the winter, and batteries (lead-acid batteries, anyway) don't have as much capacity when they're cold. He found the range was a lot less than 40 miles/charge in winter use in Bend, and it ultimately wasn't acceptable for his needs. But not because of the cost to run it.
(After he dismantled the car, I bought for cheap a couple of his used batteries for my FWC! Score!)

I would imagine the heat and AC are electric also? THEN how far is this thing gonna go on a charge when it's cold or hot?

Back
Top Bottom