Chinook Salmon on the Lower Salmon River, Idaho

Boise

Just the second trip with my Alaskan NCO, headed to Pine Bar on the Lower Salmon River outside of Grangeville, ID. A 150 mile drive from Boise the entire drive is along two lane river highway. Perfect. Reminds me of Pure Praire League's "Two Lane Highway".

With sufficient rain the grain fields outside of Grangeville are all showing good growth.

GrangevilleGrainFields.JPG

The river was running high and perfect for plunking some kwikfish lures for spring Chinook salmon.

PlunkingforChinook.JPG

A full day of rain and cold required firing up the heater in the Alaskan to dry out a wool jacket. But as a fellow fisherman pointed out, "Compared to just a bedroll, the Alaskan is luxury". For years I have just used a bedroll for all but winter camping.

But back to the fishing. Not a single bite for me after 16 hours, at least 7 hours in the rain. This is probably as green as the Salmon River Country will get for the year. Weather predicted for next week will be in the 90's.

PineBarBoatRamp.JPG

Saturday morning warms up maybe a degree or so. :cautious: But patience is rewarded with a 12 pounder! Life is great.
First2016Chinook.JPG
May2016Keeper.JPG

Thanks Frank, catching salmon in the Salmon River connects me to a lot of Idaho history. And it is pretty good eating.

BalsamicCrustedSalmon.JPG

RtR, I am really enjoying the Alaskan and it's simple configuration. All my lights are led so it can light up like a prison on just minimal truck battery. I removed the icebox and wrapped it in better insulation with good results. The camper is perfect for this summer fishing season but will need a little work before hunting season. I intend to recover the top in new metal and fix a few structural issues this September.

Sounds nice! food rely looks good too! Planning on getting a Alaskan next year want to eventually head out west and do some hunting and fishing and exploring myself. Enjoy the journey.

Back
Top Bottom