Christmas gift camping trip report Trumbull Lake June 27-July3

CALIcamperdad

First I need to thank the Ski3pin's for the suggestion of Trumbull Lake campground. Great location and perfect for the kids and parents.

We arrived late Saturday June 27th due to a late departure Saturday. But we hit Bridgeport at dusk and quietly rolled into camp at 9pm and were sacked out by 10pm. Sunday we just goofed off got camp set up starting off with bluberry pancakes and hot chocholate for the kids. Cooper3yrs old and Madison soon to be 6 next week. We sat down at the lake trying to spot the beavers. We ran into Bridgeport for a softserve cone and stopped at the ranger station where ut was suggested we go Monday and early to Bodie before the temps heat up.
Pretty anazing to think what it was like to live in Bodie. We took the road out of town to Mono Lake and visited Lee Vining before heading back to camp to cook dinner in a wet thunderstorm.
Tuesday we did a morning hike up to Cooney Lake my 3yr old did almost the whole hike. My wife has never hiked the sierras and was shocked at how scenic the lakes were she wants to do more! Then we headed out to see the June Lake loop and ran into a stock drive of about 50 head being run right down the road. My daughter says umm dad, daddd, DAD!!! there are horses coming at us on the road!
Wednesday we visited Yosemite valley and caught the kids theater show at Curry Village which was late but turned out to be a smart move. Big boomers were rolling through the upper pass and had soaked Trumbull Lake pretty good. We got back around 10pm to see tent campers cleaning up the mess and others gave up and were wedged into their cars. Our little tent trailer was dry and we slept great.

If I can sort out how to add photos I'll add them soon.
Thursday with news of more rain we decided to pack up and head home a day early which most of the campers not in Airstream trailers seemed to be doing. We drove through some good downpoors on the way home.

CALIcamperdad, we are so glad the suggestion turned out to be a nice vacation for you and your family. We were heading south on 395 Wednesday early evening and thought about driving in to Virginia Lakes to say hello. Looking at the storm we had come through to the north and wanting to get to our spot for the night prior to the cloud based fireworks unleashing again, we kept to the road. Seeing that you were returning from Yosemite and not there eases the decision. Again, glad you had a great trip and the best for many many more!

Sorry posted a few shots in the gallery
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/gallery/album/921-calicamperdad-eastern-sierras-june27-july3rd2015/

Thankyou Ski3pin's according to our camp neighbor it sounded like we missed quite the storm, but we did hit some heavy rain in the approach to Tioga pass around 9:30pm that night. Sounds like last week was even more wild. All this tropical moisture getting spun up from the south have made for interesting weather up there.

Some sailing weather gurus are really eyeing ocean temps off Socal debating if we could see a tropical depression hit southern CA before summer is over. Interesting ocean temp situation right now. Fingers crossed we get a big winter...

Back
Top Bottom