Chrysler in the Hot Seat

I followed the Ram EcoDiesel closely after it was announced in 2012. There was much speculation at the time about whether the VM Motori V6 engine could be modified for U.S. emissions. Certification took longer than expected and there were adjustments. It's very challenging for diesels to meet emission requirements and still perform properly in all conditions. I remember Marchionne saying in a press conference that diesels could not meet the next level of requirements. I tend to think that FCA is being truthful about just trying to protect the engine in some situations.

The 2014-15 Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel has also been recalled to fix problems with the Selective Catalyst Reduction system. There has been some finger pointing between Ram and Cummins on that one.

I have a '14 GC EcoDiesel and with one minor problem that was fixed under warranty it has been a great vehicle averaging 27-28 mpg in over 38k miles.
I bought it for the diesel and hope to keep it for a while. I really feel the diesel emission requirements are too stringent....

Back
Top Bottom