Chukkars? Huns? Pheasants?

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
Fritz the Wonder Dog and I just returned from three days in pursuit of wily upland birds. We were hunting in Eastern Oregon near Condon and Heppner. By my calculations, I hiked about 16 miles down canyon then up and over and along ridge tops. Mornings near freezing, afternoons near 70°.

AC89E8E2-401B-492C-B615-9D252C533B18.jpeg

9CFFDA89-7FD4-411E-8C8F-7708E8277C45.jpeg

Another landscape photo, and my cousin Norm with his Chesapeake Bay retriever.

5440B2EC-6699-4D04-B0C9-423E2E1821A2.jpeg

It was tough going, and tougher for Fritz. My guess is he ran 3 miles for every one of mine. Although we hunted hard, we only found three chukkars, and of course I missed. I forgot the old adage that the first time you hunt chukkars, it’s for the sport. Every time thereafter, it’s for revenge.

On the third day, coming through a wooded area, we did find a nice plump ruffed grouse that will become tomorrow nights dinner.

BCE22065-B6C2-4547-A44D-E9392F6A641E.jpeg

We have a Pudlepointer, one of the best upland game bird dogs or so we were told by some Eastern Oregon hunters. If it weren’t for the restraining safety harness in the back seat of our extended cab truck, he would be in the front seat once he sniffs or sees chukars, pheasants, quails. The hunters told us he is too womanized to be a good hunting dog. But, he is the smartest and coolest dog we have ever had. Not that the others were not but he is just unique.

PPs are great dogs. Fritz, my male, has over the top prey drive. I keep the windows closed or barely open any time I think there is any kind of critter nearby. He almost got out at Hart Mt when the truck flushed a bunch of sage grouse near Blue Sky.

I think all of these European versatile dogs are fantastic!

Got out yesterday, dropped 2 :) and missed 3 :(. After Fritz burned off some energy, he did quite a good job. Solid points, good retrieves and a great nose.

EBF5A62F-6A94-4091-82BD-92970FE53AA5.jpeg

1F4F81DD-032C-45CD-A880-5E172320ADF1.jpeg

Fritz the Wonder Dog said it was time to get out for a while, so a little grouse hunting in some steep country. We saw a few, but in Terrain that was pretty steep, with tight vegetation. We were along the summit of the Oregon Coast Range. Only one shot take... evidence below.

EEDDE439-08EC-4BF2-9100-733348225172.jpeg

A nice day in the Willamette Valley. Fritz the WonderDog and I got out for a little pheasant hunting. Four birds pointed, four birds for the table. My shooting is getting better, and Fritz is really getting to be a great pup for foot hunting.

gallery_4841_711_1143053.jpeg

Fritz and I went out to chase Huns and chukar, but after tromping hills and canyons, the one and only shot was at a valley quail. I thought I was going to limit on chukar, but instinct kicked in and I swerved into the other lane. Not sure a Ford Ranger is considered a legal harvest method.

I’m thinking quail on toast might be a good breakfast,

583806CB-B312-4539-87CA-1D0F1CD64029.jpeg

WS, love the photo! Fritz looks very content and probably wasn’t counting, just glad to be out with his best friend!
I had to laugh about the Ford Ranger comment.

Cheers,
Poky

Even a single bird is a nice reward for all that hard work walking the hills. Looks like a nice Citori that you have there. I just picked up my new 16 gauge Citori Feather Superlight which I am looking forward to using very soon.

Dave, the O/U leaning against the fence post in post #9 is a Citori 12 gauge that I carry for pheasants and waterfowl. The O/U in post 11 is a Beretta Silver Pigeon 20 gauge that I carry when chasing birds in the steep country. It’s about 2 pounds lighter than the Browning. Both are wonderful shotguns, but I’m starting to prefer the Beretta. That is probably because of weight. Right out of the box the Silver Pigeon was a bit less stiff than the Browning, but both fit me nicely.

I considered looking for a 16 gauge, but competition finding shells is sometimes an issue. I grew up lugging a heavy old L C Smith 16 gauge that was my grandfather’s shotgun. Sadly, one of my cousins got some mud in the right barrel and split it down by the breach.

Keep me posted on your hunts, and what you think of the Citori.

Pheasant season opened Saturday. Out in Suisun marsh dog put up one bird and we got that rooster. Monday was up in Sacramento Valley after seeing a few hens he put up two roosters but I foolishly missed both. Today was back at Marsh and after three hens he put up a rooster which we got. The 16 ga is nice and light at just over six pounds. No recoil and seems to do well provides the operator points it correctly. Browning also makes the Superlight Feather in 12 ga. It has aluminum receiver with steel insert at breach face.

You’re doing better than me. So far, no grouse, huns or chukar. Three valley quail (a double +1) and a single rooster. Missed on rooster, too. Don’t forget to tag your elk :rolleyes:.

Took Paige on our daily walk around our pollinator plot with fresh snow on the ground. The corn is mostly out on the surrounding farms now and pheasants are moving in. She’s not a trained for birding but she finds a few each winter. Yesterday she got birdie and followed her nose to a black and white stripped critter. Luckily it was about ten yards on the other side of a field fence. She stared at it with tail high and proud of her accomplishment. She let out a single bark (she almost never barks at anything). I was relieved that a peroxide and tomato juice treatment wouldn’t be my next project for the morning. Pheasants here are scarce and seeing a wild bird is a real treat.

WjColdWater said:
Took Paige on our daily walk around our pollinator plot with fresh snow on the ground. The corn is mostly out on the surrounding farms now and pheasants are moving in. She’s not a trained for birding but she finds a few each winter. Yesterday she got birdie and followed her nose to a black and white stripped critter. Luckily it was about ten yards on the other side of a field fence. She stared at it with tail high and proud of her accomplishment. She let out a single bark (she almost never barks at anything). I was relieved that a peroxide and tomato juice treatment wouldn’t be my next project for the morning. Pheasants here are scarce and seeing a wild bird is a real treat.
I find that Natures Miracle Skunk Off works so much better than any of the home made remedy's. unfortunately Gabby or Sox find one every couple months. Sox has gotten to the point he doesn't get a direct hit any more,

I wish there were more birds here, loss of habitat means very few, I have tried some work on my property without much success.

Machinebuilder said:
I find that Natures Miracle Skunk Off works so much better than any of the home made remedy's. unfortunately Gabby or Sox find one every couple months. Sox has gotten to the point he doesn't get a direct hit any more,

I wish there were more birds here, loss of habitat means very few, I have tried some work on my property without much success.
We are lucky to have a pocket of self sustaining pheasants, quail and turkey here. There is enough habitats in a four square mile area to support them. Four years ago a few farms converted back from CRP to row crops. I’ve noticed a numbers drop in pheasants since then. Also the Roundup era and new farming techniques have contributed to the overall decline in populations. I have friends that own farms in IA. and the same declines have occurred there over the past twenty years. The habitats are still there and some birds remain in low numbers. I believe the farm chemicals are mainly to blame along with natural reasons. I hear that the Dakota's still have numbers of birds. They have more prairies and less areas receive spraying. Well all we can do is maintain good habitat where we can. Thanks for the Skunk Off tip!

Back
Top Bottom