Clear coat scraped in parking lot

Bosque Bill

Didn't take long for my new Tacoma to get its first parking lot scrape. Looks like someone's door got it in the winds we've been having.

Luckily it didn't dent or remove any paint, but but the clear coat is scratched up, not very deep, in a patch about 2 inches high by half an inch wide.

Is there a way to buff that out (to use the old cliche)? I saw a scratch repair kit in the auto store, but it looked way more intensive than I'd really be comfortable with, not to mention a bit pricey.

Any recommendations other than to just get used to it?

Bummer!

That is why I park way out in the boonies.

That "parking in the boonies" doesn't always work.Back in the stone age as a teen,I had a 57 Ford convertible. So as not to get it "scratched" I parked it way to the back of the lot,up hill.Only 4 other cars in the lot all at the bottom of the lot by the stores.Guess what?Some young "lady" backed about 75',up hill into the front end.So much for my beautiful 57 convert.
Live and learn.I still try to park away from other cars when possible.
Sorry about the "first" scratch.
Frank

Didn't take long for my new Tacoma to get its first parking lot scrape. Looks like someone's door got it in the winds we've been having.

Luckily it didn't dent or remove any paint, but but the clear coat is scratched up, not very deep, in a patch about 2 inches high by half an inch wide.

Is there a way to buff that out (to use the old cliche)? I saw a scratch repair kit in the auto store, but it looked way more intensive than I'd really be comfortable with, not to mention a bit pricey.

Any recommendations other than to just get used to it?

Well, that's a shame for it to happen so soon. I'm afraid I can't help you on the clear coat issue. At least, once you get out in the backcountry with your new camper you won't feel so bad about the first New Mexico pinstripes.

At least you can blame someone else. I put my first scratch in the right rear quarter panel backing into my garage. Just a 2 inch scratch but it cut the paint. Then got a little rash on the tailgate unloading some mulch into the wheel barrow. I took it in to the body shop to get fixed, thinking they could just buff them out and they quoted me $1000. :eek: Needless to say I'm getting used to it. I'll just wait until I get enough scratches to make it worthwhile.:LOL:

Thanks for the replies.

Am I the only one who parks way away from everyone else, then comes out of the store to find that even with all that open space someone has parked right next to me? ;)

Wish they'd banged up the passenger side, so I wouldn't have to see the scrape every time I walk up to the truck. Oh, well, maybe I can put some fun scrapes and scratches on myself this summer, then that one won't stand out :D

Thanks for the replies.

Am I the only one who parks way away from everyone else, then comes out of the store to find that even with all that open space someone has parked right next to me? ;)

Wish they'd banged up the passenger side, so I wouldn't have to see the scrape every time I walk up to the truck. Oh, well, maybe I can put some fun scrapes and scratches on myself this summer, then that one won't stand out :D

You can buy a true 2 part urethane, in a spray can. It is called spray max and it comes in a clear coat as well as base coats. But I'd want to test it one something less obvious. It is bascially the same stuf that the factory uses, very nasty toxic.

Back
Top Bottom