clearance lights

huskyrunnr

Advanced Member
I have an older 8' NCO that has no clearance lights on the front or rear. I was happy I didn't have those ugly 3 light bars or the outside lights. Then I realized i'm probably running afoul of current law. Sure enough I am. Anyone ever add these to an old Alaskan that never had them? Any suggestions?

I'd claim to be grandfathered in to the older requirements and leave the lights off (running afoul of current law is becoming an increasingly desireable activity for me). When I re-did my camper, I left the outer 2 (of 5) off because I didn't like the way that they looked - all crooked and such.

Thx for the response. I had the skin peeled off two years ago for rot repair and I really did not want to go through all that again so soon. In twenty years it hasn't been a problem... yet. I was thinking stick-on decoys, or AA powered temporary lights, but couldn't find any.

BTW, your re-do is gorgeous.

I gather that clearance lights are REQUIRED on Alaskan Campers traveling at night in the down positions?
I guess I might kinda understand on a BIG camper, but the Alaskans aren't much taller than the cab....??
All states? Please bring me up to speed...

Ok, I looked it up. Anything over 80 inches in width is a federal requirement....
Wow. Will the accelerating gov meddling ever slow down?

i just used reflectors on mine. they came with sticky pads , but can be screwed on also. mine have been on for 2 years with the sticky pads-- holding good.

wes
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:16806]

over 80" needs corner clearance only or the middle triple set as well?

Freebird said:
I gather that clearance lights are REQUIRED on Alaskan Campers traveling at night in the down positions?
I guess I might kinda understand on a BIG camper, but the Alaskans aren't much taller than the cab....??
All states? Please bring me up to speed...

Ok, I looked it up. Anything over 80 inches in width is a federal requirement....
Wow. Will the accelerating gov meddling ever slow down?

The triple lights signal that the load is wide, so are required. I stumbled across that building up a trailer for my wide outrigger canoe. I am pretty sure it is the same requirement for any piece of the vehicle over 80" wide going down the road.

I rank it right up there with having a light for the rear plate.

I guess I'm strange, I went through some effort to rebuild the clunky looking original triple clearance light on my rebuild. I had the base bracket sand blasted and powder coated and bought new led double bulls eye lights that match the original.

Back
Top Bottom