Climbable Buttes

mrfritz44

Advanced Member
My son and I spent some time in Utah and Arizona hiking around buttes which are especially beautiful around sunset with a full moon rising in the background. We'd like to actually climb one of these seemingly unclimbable features and spend the evening on top watching the sun set and the moon rise. The problem is that the only buttes we've seen are pretty much off limits unless you use ropes.

Anyone have a recommendation for a butte that doesn't take spiderman skills to ascend? For reference, Kolob Canyon and Monument Valley are the gold standards from our limited experience, but admittedly are probably not options.

Will this do? Looking west from the top of Doe mtn. near Sedona AZ. It is a good quick hike to the top of Doe mtn, and fantastic views. And though it is called a mountain, it is really a flat topped mesa (aka Butte).

Attachments

• 30807851392_4b38d93d4a_k.jpg
    30807851392_4b38d93d4a_k.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 79
If it's not, it'll do until the best butte arrives.....

;)

Thank you.....I assume you've done this climb, and perhaps during a rising full moon?Screenshot_20200211-191232_Earth.jpeg

mrfritz44 said:
My son and I spent some time in Utah and Arizona hiking around buttes which are especially beautiful around sunset with a full moon rising in the background. We'd like to actually climb one of these seemingly unclimbable features and spend the evening on top watching the sun set and the moon rise. The problem is that the only buttes we've seen are pretty much off limits unless you use ropes.

Anyone have a recommendation for a butte that doesn't take spiderman skills to ascend? For reference, Kolob Canyon and Monument Valley are the gold standards from our limited experience, but admittedly are probably not options.

Hmmm...I thought you could not climb in Monument Valley? Tribal restriction.

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/105964237/monument-valley

Back
Top Bottom