code reader

4llamas

Greetings,
I'm in the market for a code reader for my early year 2007 Silverado duramax diesel. Can someone from the tech savvy crowd tell me what the desirable qualities are? For less than $100 can I get a reader that tells me what the codes mean, or do I have to go online or get a book for that? What should I expect to pay? Recently my check engine idiot light has been staying on and I got to thinking that I should have a code reader in my toolbox, but I don't know anything about them. I would appreciate some enlightenment.
Thanks.

I installed a Scan Gauge in my truck that has a code reader / reset function. It also displays up to 4 selectable engine parameters. I monitor my MPG and fuel used.

If you purchase any reader make sure it has a reset function to clear your code when it's fixed. I'm not sure if all of them do that.

Some parts stores also have loaners if you don't want to purchase one.

Thanks Camelracer. Reset, I might not have thought of that. My truck is short on mounting space, I have the brake controller and air compressor gauge mounted below the dash so I'll be looking for a portable unit. The Chevy has built-in monitoring for service and travel info and I don't need redundancy for those items. I could use a portable unit on our other cars. First I'll see if my parts guy has a loaner. Thanks again.

Do you have shucks/orielys (sp?) down your way? When I was up in WA they always had the readers. You just leave your drivers license with them while you have the scanner in the parking lot. Read the code, write it down/clear it out, then research it online at home. Unless you regularly are reading codes that was always the most convenient for me when stuff arose every once in a while.

Yeah, we have an O'reilly here. I'll give them a call. Hopefully I won't be reading codes on a regular basis, but my check engine light has been going on and off for a few months and recently decided to stay on, so I need to get that figured out.

On my Dodge you can read the codes right on the dash. Something like turning the key partially on four times quick. I tried it, it works, can't clear codes of course.

Back
Top Bottom