Compressor fridge information

RC Pilot Jim

This morning I was doing some research for a friend on compressor fridges, He knows I have a top loader (MT-35) portable Engel that I absolutely love becauise it is so efficient and only draws 1.5 amps an hour when cycling after the initial cool down time (109* to 39* in 25 minutes drawing 2.5 amps).

I was on an Engle coolers website (englecoolers.com) reviewing "fridge-freezers" and I read the following info sheet that I thought is worth sharing,

Using Solar Power
Because of their efficiency, Engel fridge/freezers work well on solar power. Talk with your solar panel provider to make sure your system output and loads match up.

Installation Considerations
Your Engel fridge/freezer is designed to be portable, but if you want to stow it in tight spot, just make sure you have at least 2-inches around the compressor end for ventilation.

In Between Power Sources
When you're out overnight and the truck's not running or when you're underway and the gen set's idle, your Engel fridge/freezer still keeps things cold, thanks to it's tight seal and quality insulation. There are always a lot of factors at play, however (how often you open the lid, the ambient temperature, how long you're off power, etc.), so it pays to keep an eye on things and do some testing before you leave home.

After all is said and done, we think you will agree. When keeping things cold is Adventure Critical,
Engel is your only choice.

We do have competitors out there! Although not many in Africa and Australia, where it really counts...here Engel fridge-freezers dominate the markets.

Our competitors technology is basically grouped into two types:

1. Thermoelectric Refrigeration
Thermoelectric coolers work electronically without the use of freon, compressors or evaporators. In a thermoelectric cooler, direct current is applied to a semiconductor which makes one side of it hot, and one side cold (which is known as the Peltier effect). They can heat or cool.

Negatives
  • The result is mediocre cooling at best. In fact, most customers are greatly disappointed with its performance. Thermoelectric units draw over 6x the current (4.6 - 5.4 Amps) of an Engel compressor (in refrigerator mode), and within 6 hours can drain a car battery - which is not great if you only have one battery!
  • In addition, thermoelectric coolers can only cool to about 30 degrees below ambient. They cannot freeze, or maintain a steady internal refrigerated temperature. Consequently they take many hours to cool a warm soda for example. In contrast, our Engel models can all cool to refrigerator temperatures in less than 20 minutes. In freezer mode they can get below freezing in about 1/2 hour.
  • Thermoelectric coolers can also not keep a steady internal temperature. All Engel models feature thermostatic control and can cycle on and off maintaining steady internal temperatures - independent of the outside temperature.
  • Thermo-electric units are also more noisy than Engel freezers - they typically produce 50-60 decibels where an Engel is less than 40 decibels.
Positives
  • They are very cheap to purchase - typically less than $100.
2. Reciprocating Compressors
Our competitors are forced to use these types of compressors. Most are, in fact, made in China - but some are still made in Germany (Danfoss).

Negatives
  • Reciprocating compressors have many moving parts - much more to go wrong - and at $65+/hour for service - be careful.
  • Also, they cannot take the shock and vibrations that Engel compressors can take - especially when running! Our Engel units are built to tolerate high vibration environments such as the cab of a large truck or power boat. This vibration tolerance makes Engel compressors much more suitable for boating, 4X4, or similar activities where shock and vibration exist.
  • Reliability has always been a problem for reciprocating compressors - especially in moving vehicles - due to vibration intolerance.
  • Reciprocating compressor's initial start-up amperage surge is 2.6 times higher than Engel. They often require your vehicle's electrical system to be re-wired to overcome the high start-up Amperage requirement - which is costly. Also, they cannot tolerate a voltage drop in DC current - Engel can.
  • They are often much more expensive.
  • Engel freezers draw about 50% less power than similar Waeco models - as tested by Power Boat Reports Magazine (April 2007). In fact, Engel came out as their 'best pick' out of 4 models tested.
  • Many competitors claim to be freezers bu,t in fact, they only freeze to about 18 degrees F - which is not safe for frozen foods. Engel models can freeze to zero degrees F or colder.
  • The reciprocating compressor systems make a lot of electronic noise (EMI) on high-frequency radios, like ham, marine, shortwave, and it's difficult (sometimes impossible) to suppress. They also run at higher temperatures and require larger cooling fans.
  • Some manufacturers temperature claims are very misleading - they measure lowest temperature on the cold plate surface and not in the middle of the unit - as we do for all Engel models. So, if you choose to buy a competitor - do so on a 30 day trial and check the power draw and interior coldest temperature to make sure it performs as per their specifications - if not, then return it.
With over 3.6 million units sold to date - we do know what we are doing!

Reads like a advertisement. No positives listed for the danfoss compressor? I sure like mine. I can have the fridge section like at home and have ice cream in the freezer at the same time. I believe you can have your Engel as a freezer or as a fridge. To do both at the same time they have some type of a add on accessory that make is bigger .

I'm not going to diss Engel fridges, they're very good, but theres some misinformation there. EMI? I haven't noticed any from mine. Power spike on startup? I haven't seen it, I'll have to run some more tests to see if thats true. Can't take the shock? I haven't seen the posts to back that up yet. Mine seems to handle it just fine. Freezer temp? I haven't checked that yet. My stuff seems solidly frozen but I'll put the thermometer in there and check on that. I do agree the Engels do seem to be more energy efficient.

Just got off jury duty so I haven't been able to get out but after adding a second battery and monitoring the Trimetric (fridge has a minimal load, set to 3.5) i see the batteries at 90% soc sitting under the carport after 24 hours.

craig333 said:
I'm not going to diss Engel fridges, they're very good, but theres some misinformation there. EMI? I haven't noticed any from mine. Power spike on startup? I haven't seen it, I'll have to run some more tests to see if thats true. Can't take the shock? I haven't seen the posts to back that up yet. Mine seems to handle it just fine. Freezer temp? I haven't checked that yet. My stuff seems solidly frozen but I'll put the thermometer in there and check on that. I do agree the Engels do seem to be more energy efficient.

Just got off jury duty so I haven't been able to get out but after adding a second battery and monitoring the Trimetric (fridge has a minimal load, set to 3.5) i see the batteries at 90% soc sitting under the carport after 24 hours.
We didn't have EMI issues using the Engel on the boat. Our VHF and other electronics were fine.

Checked my freezer. Set at 3.5 I have a reading of 10 degrees. Still haven't seen a large amperage spike on startup but it may be brief.

It is very possible its advertisement. I have no experience with Danfoss in fact until WTW I don't think I had ever heard of them Bill.
I have had such good luck with the Engel I just " love" to talk about it
Sometimes I get carried away with enthusiasm and don't due proper research.

If you guys want me to delete it I will.

Back
Top Bottom