Connecting trolling motor plug sparks/arching

Aqualunger

Is there anything one should shut off/disconnect when plugging in the trolling motor plug to the truck? I had forgotten to connect the plug last night before lowering the camper onto my truck and was trying to connect it from inside the camper through the opening to connect the turn buckle. While doing this it was very hard to get it lined up and a few times the plug spark/arched when I was trying to get it connected. My truck was off and I even disconnected it's battery and the plug still sparked a couple times. I couldn't get it connected so I ended up jacking the camper back up and pulling forward so I could get at it from the outside. With the truck running I connected it just fine with no sparking.

I'd have the same question for connecting to shore power, do you need to disconnect or shut anything off in the camper before connecting? I think I had this plug arch on me once as well.

Thanks.

If the camper has a converter/inverter with battery charging capabilities, it's possible it will spark when making the connection.

Due to the large inrush current into the Iota on plugging into AC power, it generates a pop, I usually plug everything together and plug the extension into the outlet last. If for no other reason than that a little metal is blasted off one side and deposited on the other contact. I had rather the roughness occur on the cheaper AC plug and socket at the house outlet.

Paul

It's always a good idea to have things turned off or unplugged if no switch when hooking up to a power source whether a/c or d/c.

Back
Top Bottom