Cooler to 2-way fridge/freezer

la_morris

Advanced Member
Still thinking of replacing my Yeti 45 with a 2-way fridge for my FWC Fleet Shell. Since so much of the cooler is given over to ice, I'm guessing I could go with a smaller unit. Any idea what capacity (thinking of Dometic CRX line, Engle or AR:cool: would be just large enough to replace the 37 qt capacity of the Yeti? I assume I'd have to get some solar power to run it. Thanks,

Leslie

I used my Dometic fridge in the camper for the first time last week. It was awesome and I will never go back to ice. Between the fridge and the heater for 20 min in the morning and 1-2 hours in the evening and I never used more than 22AH of battery power. The solar charged it back up and powered the fridge during the daylight hours.

I have a CRX28 and it was fine for 2-3 days. I think it depends on how many drinks you want to keep cold at a time. For food only I could probably go for a week in that fridge.

We have been using a 40 L fridge and have been very happy with the size. Two of us Using it and we can stay out for about a week without needing to resuply.

We have two engle 45L fridges. Caught them on sale. One is mostly for beverages, and the other is for food, but have switched this system up alot as needs change. One is mounted under a cabinet, the other under a bench.
Just got fed up with needing ice every four days, we two have gone two weeks with no re-supply last year on this setup.
Our main goal is being able to stay out for as long as possible and still have what we need.
Good luck.

We went from a Yeti 45 to the TruckFridge TB51 and love it. We do sometimes carry the Yeti 20 in the cab for drinks.

20170613_105905-M.jpg

20200920_095253-L.jpg

We have a truckfridge TB51 in our All Terrain Camper. One advantage of a larger capacity is to add containers of ice to fill the space. It cuts down on power draw. You'll use the water also.

ski3pin said:
We have a truckfridge TB51 in our All Terrain Camper. One advantage of a larger capacity is to add containers of ice to fill the space. It cuts down on power draw. You'll use the water also.
I like that idea!
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom