Could this be the answer to our A/C woes

That seems like a great idea. Like the size & looks of it too !

But I worry they are trying to get one little item to do too many things?

Any air conditioner I have ever seen that can put out a reasonable amount of cold air (compressor running), won't be able to run 4 or 5 hours on a small 40ah rechargeable battery.

Pictures and their marketing sounds great. But I would have my doubts on how well it will live up to their claims.

That said, I think they are right on the right track with the direction they are going. Could be a good seller.

I suspect it will cool 50 sq ft if plugged in but doubt that it will be able to cool it and maintain a cool temperature for fery long on battery power. It also doesn't talk about power consumption so how big a hit would it be on the inverter?

From the Faq update (#3)..... (note the btu rating, need for both exhaust air and condensate hoses (when used indoors), weight spec is only 14 pounds but doesn't include the battery weight of an additional 8.8 pounds, unit cannot run without a battery, a battery is $219-$289, run time on battery is 5 hours but only that long on low setting, running the unit and charging the battery at the same time not recommended, use of aviation connectors, etc).
---------
Q: Would you please tell me all Spec about Zero-Breeze? And how much BTU is it?
Cooling Type: Rotary compression refrigeration using environmentally and ozone-friendly Dupont R-134a refrigerant.
Cooling Capacity: 1100 BTU/Hour
EER: 8.5-9.1
SIZE:18”L * 7.8”W * 11”H
Weight: 14 lbs
Power Consumption: 120-150 Watts Max.
Adapter Input: 100-240V/50、60Hz
Adapter Output:12V-12.5A
Noise: 48dB(A)
Stretch Radiating Pipe: 11.8”-39.3”Length
Water Tube: 39.3”Length
Room size: up to 50 square feet.

Battery Spec
Recharge Cycles: 800 cycles
Input: 12V-3A
Recharge time:5 hours
Output: 12V-40Ah
Weight: 8.8 lbs
SIZE: 18.32”L*6.46”W*3.82”H
Q: Can the unit be plugged into a wall outlet and continue to run?
A: Yes, the product comes with an adapter for wall outlet.
Q: Can I cool a very small boat cabin for up to 10 hours while the unit is plugged into shore power? The boat cabin is very small and sleeps two people only.
A: It would be a perfect product to cool your boat cabin. The adapter input is 100-240V 50/60 Hz, please check if you need a transformer for shore power.
Q: When is the unit expected to come on the market for sale?
A: We are scheduled to deliver the first batch of goods to Kickstarter backers on Mar, 2017. And then the product will be on market.
Q: Do you know what the temperature of the air coming out of the unit is?
A:The lowest temperature of outlet air is 44.6°F.
Q: How long does it take to get a "50 sq ft room down to 44 degrees?"
A: We may misunderstood you by 'cool air' testimonial video, the 47.4 degrees was tested on cooling outlet instead of the room. Practically it would take 15-20 mins get a “50 sq ft room down to 59℉~64.4℉" that would make people feel comfortable to stay.
Q: This is my first time on Kickstarter. How do you know where to ship to without my address?
A: How to Back 1. Choose a reward level. Everybody can choose one (and only one) reward level to back this project. You cannot choose 2 reward levels. Just one. You will get all items in that reward—you cannot swap things that you don't want for things that you do want. 2. Relax, you're done for now. All details like shipping information and color preference will be collected via survey after this campaign has ended.
Q: Does the first package available come with a battery to run without a wall outlet? Or does only the next stage come with a battery?
A: 'Zero Breeze - SUPER EARLY BIRD' does not come with a battery, but 'Zero Breeze PLUS- SUPER EARLY BIRD' does include a battery.
Q: How do I use Zero-Breeze when indoors? How do I discharge the hot air?
A: When using it indoors you must run the hose out your window. The hose is designed to
A: When using it indoors you must run the hose out your window. The hose is designed to release the hot air that Zero-Beeze generates, so it requires an exhaust pipe when using it indoors.
Q: If I don't purchase the additional battery, will the unit still be able to operate independently without being "plugged in"?
A: No, you won't be able to run Zero-Breeze without being "plugged in" if you don't purchase the additional battery.
Q: Given current restrictions on shipping batteries, do you know what shipping company will you use?
A:They will be shipped via multiple combinations of shipping companies by boats and inland express to avoid restriction of shipping batteries.
Q: Can the battery be charged while it's connected to the device?
A: Yes, the battery and device will come with individual adapters, so the battery is able to be charged while it's connected to the device. However, we don't recommend charging in this way.
Q: What maintenance does the device require?
A: There is no maintenance required.
Q: Can you explain when and why the exhaust and drain pipes are used?
A: The device is similar to a home AC unit. The exhaust pipe filters out hot air and the drain pipe is for the condensation.
Q: Does the $349 price include a battery and the 568 price have an extra?
A: No, the $349 reward level does not include a battery. You will need to plug it in to run the device. The $568 reward level does come with a battery and can function without an outlet.
Q: How much is the extra battery if I want one at a later time?
A: At a future retail price, the battery will be $289 and $219 on Kickstarter. However, if you pledge the "Zero-Breeze Plus" reward level, which includes a battery, then add $219 on top to get another battery, then your Zero-Breeze will come with 2 batteries.
Q:I have 2 150Ah lithium battery pack, how can I connect my battery pack to the air conditioner?
A: There will be two Aviation connectors that come with Zero-Breeze which allow you to connect a DIY power cord to the device along with your battery pack.
Q: How long will the battery last on Low? How do the various levels (Low, Medium, High) effect the temperature output?
A: The battery has 40AH capacity to run for up to 5 hrs on Low. The unit has two levels that affect the temperature output which can go as low as 48F, depending on the surrounding temperature in the room.
Q: Can the batteries be purchased after I get a unit?
A: Yes, the batteries will be sold when our Kickstarter campaign has ended.
Q: Can I use a different Battery?
A: Yes, we provide Aviation connectors that will allow a DIY battery to be plugged into Zero-Breeze.
Q: Is this a Freon type of cooling? Do you have to add ice and water?
A: No, we are using R134 refrigerant, so there is no need to add anything.
Q: What is the noise level in dbl on Low and on High speeds measured from 1 ft and 5 ft in an enclosed area?
A: 48-55 dbl.
Q: Can we plug it in a car without air conditioning?
A: Yes, we provide Aviation connectors which you can plug in with the lighting connector.
Thanks,
The Zero Breeze Team

Interesting idea if it works. Five hour battery life is plenty for the type of camping I do and they could recharge during the day while the solar is active.

I really like this idea, but the math on the battery life is a little fuzzy. Power consumption is 10 amps +. A 40 AH battery would be long gone before 5 hours.

cwd

I was gonna say this looks pretty cool, but then realized that would be an unintentional pun.

But I wonder if 1100 BTU/hr is enough to make much of a dent in a camper interior. I guesstimated my Hawk's interior space to be about 200 cu ft, and went to an online BTU calculator. It said that 1100 BTU/hr would drop the temperature of a normally insulated 200 cu ft room by 15 degrees F. For a poorly insulated room (lots of leaks or windows), it predicted a 7 degree drop.

It's 88 degrees outside where I am. A 15 degree drop would sure make the camper very comfortable; 7 degrees, not so much, but 81 degrees is more tolerable than 88.

There's no way to know how accurate the model behind the online calculator is, so I wouldn't base any decisions on it.

Since this portable AC can run on 12V, one option would be to run it off the camper battery, but at 9.9 A draw, I wouldn't run it long (unless solar was making up some of the difference). On shore power, no problem.

Another issue is where to route the hose that exhausts the heat to the outside. Probably through one of the rear turnbuckle flaps, I think.

- Rusty

cwdtmmrs said:
I really like this idea, but the math on the battery life is a little fuzzy. Power consumption is 10 amps +. A 40 AH battery would be long gone before 5 hours.

cwd
I think that old adage might apply here- if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is(n't true). The marketing photos seem to show it being used more like a fan than an air conditioner (i.e. an air conditioner outdoors?).

I really want to like this idea, but from my experience, a/c units with the "exhaust pipe" leak a lot of heat from those tubes which makes the a/c have to also cool down the hot air that it's leaking.

I also wondered about all those pics of it being used outside. Why would one use an a/c outside?
It would only help you cool down if you were sitting right in front of it (as the pics seem to show), and that's kinda lame.
Get a $20 fan.

I bought a portable unit. It takes up a lot of space in the aisle. I use the turn buckle door and cut a piece of roofing single-ply TPO with the diameter of the exhaust hose and have a small cut out for the condensate hose. We have used it in Indiana during the summer. With the Porta pottie out at night there is barely room to move and the dog leave a cramped space. We have taken it 3 times and the wife says no more. Probably sell it and not camp in hot weather. This new unit will end up costing $700+/- for extra batteries. It would sit on the counter out of the way. I paid $325+/- for what I have. Might consider when WTW posts show purchase and success stories. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Here's a detail I missed earlier....

In the Comments section, in response to a question from user Donnie Buckles (on 8/25, I believe), the Zero Breeze guy responds.....

"And lastly, for your question about the thermostat, that is not a feature of the ZB design."

Also- In the Comments section, I see this question / response:

"2)From which country will you ship the product?
>>>Will ship directly from our manufacture, still looking for a fit region to make them."

The Zero Breeze trademark is held by Shenzhen Keku Technology of Shenzhen, China and I'd be surprised to see them manufacture the units in another country. The response just seems odd to me in that it appears to evade by talking about region rather than country. (But maybe I'm reading too much into it.)

Back
Top Bottom