Covering my Hawk

radarcontact

Hello everyone....just acquired my new Hawk in August, and have used it several times this fall. Had a few small issues with it, but overall very happy I went with this setup.

I have a question about outdoor storage. I live in Wyoming most of the year, and the camper is garaged there. However, I'm in S. Florida for about 3-4 months during the winter, and the camper has to be stored outside (actually, I haven't measured it to see if it will fit in one of those smaller outdoor storage units - I'm thinking the cost will be a limiting factor).

Should I consider putting a tarp over it? Or possibly buying some kind of RV cover that I could retrofit over it, to protect it from sun damage? Or just not worry about it at all? I don't think I'll be doing this every winter, BTW. I want to do some camping in the Keys this winter, though, so it will be stored outside from Jan - May.

Thanks for your thoughts.

radarcontact said:
Hello everyone....just acquired my new Hawk in August, and have used it several times this fall. Had a few small issues with it, but overall very happy I went with this setup.

I have a question about outdoor storage. I live in Wyoming most of the year, and the camper is garaged there. However, I'm in S. Florida for about 3-4 months during the winter, and the camper has to be stored outside (actually, I haven't measured it to see if it will fit in one of those smaller outdoor storage units - I'm thinking the cost will be a limiting factor).

Should I consider putting a tarp over it? Or possibly buying some kind of RV cover that I could retrofit over it, to protect it from sun damage? Or just not worry about it at all? I don't think I'll be doing this every winter, BTW. I want to do some camping in the Keys this winter, though, so it will be stored outside from Jan - May.

Thanks for your thoughts.
When not on the road I cover the truck and camper with a tarp for each.
As my camper is on the truck all the time. The tarps work well for me.We live very close to the coast and salt in the air is the biggest issue,and sap and droppings from the tree that over hangs the parking area.
I did modify the camper tarp to leave the solar panels uncovered.Just cut out around them.During nonuse the panels keep the battery charged.
Works well for me and tarps are cheep.
Frank

Thanks for the reply, Frank. Can I ask you what model FWC you have? And what size tarp are you using to cover it?

I'm a little concerned about tying the tarp down....Florida can get some nasty rain/wind storms. Maybe bungee cords? I like your idea of cutting a hole for the solar panel. I have a panel, too, so that makes sense. You don't have to disconnect the battery terminals (to prevent discharge) if you keep the panels exposed. Good thinking.

Vince

Our camper sits on 3/4" X's on top of a full sheet of 3/4" plywood. The legs sit on plywood strip which hold down L shaped flanges, 6" vertical with holes and 12" horizontal under the plywood. The tarp is a large gray tarp, 20' x 20' I believe. It extends to the flange on the west side, passenger side, which is the wind side and drops about 6' on the back, 4' drivers side, and 2' on the front. A series of bungee cords holds everything in place. I plug my portable solar in every 6 weeks or so. All power is off so no draw on the battery.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

longhorn1 said:
Our camper sits on 3/4" X's on top of a full sheet of 3/4" plywood. The legs sit on plywood strip which hold down L shaped flanges, 6" vertical with holes and 12" horizontal under the plywood. The tarp is a large gray tarp, 20' x 20' I believe. It extends to the flange on the west side, passenger side, which is the wind side and drops about 6' on the back, 4' drivers side, and 2' on the front. A series of bungee cords holds everything in place. I plug my portable solar in every 6 weeks or so. All power is off so no draw on the battery.

What are 3/4 X's? i am looking for a storage solution. Thanks

radarcontact said:
Thanks for the reply, Frank. Can I ask you what model FWC you have? And what size tarp are you using to cover it?

I'm a little concerned about tying the tarp down....Florida can get some nasty rain/wind storms. Maybe bungee cords? I like your idea of cutting a hole for the solar panel. I have a panel, too, so that makes sense. You don't have to disconnect the battery terminals (to prevent discharge) if you keep the panels exposed. Good thinking.

Vince
I have a ATC Bobcat.
The tarp on the camper is like a huge 20'x12' that I double over.
The one on the truck is a brown 10'x12'.
I use bungee cords. No real wind issues here.
Yeh having the holes for the solar is great.It keeps both the camper and truck battery charged.
They work well. They are mostly to keep the truck/camper free from all the crap from the neighbors tree.
Frank

longhorn1 said:

I can visualize the Xs.....the guy I dealt with here at FWC in Jackson Hole uses the same brace to support all his campers on his sales lot. Just wanted to verify what you said..the L brackets have holes in them, correct? I'm assuming that's what you hook the bungees on to from the tarp. Another great idea. Thanks to you and Frank for responding. I think I'll make some X supports and do the L brackets as you do, and cut a hole in the top of the tarp, as Frank does, to allow the solar panel to do its thing.

My X's are 24" x 48". In the center of the 48" side is a 3/4" wide by 12" deep cut out. There are 4 of these. You put them together at the cut out and I takes an "X". You have 2 X's and lay a sheet of plywood on top and lower the camper

Maybe it helps!

Snow on the mountains, so I covered my FWC Eagle!

Bought 6 plastic pallets (I only needed three!!!) and a tarp from a boat outfitter (20' x 14' = 6m x 4m) 100% tearproof, 100% UV-resistant, 100% waterproof

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 180
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 168
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 165
My L bracket is hemmed on the top edge of the vertical leg and the punch holes go through a double layer.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful input. Downhiller, you have a great setup as well. I'm going to do something along the lines of what you guys posted. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom