Critique my checklist ...

smlobx

Lost again
Hi folk-
I have decided to make an overlanding master checklist for an extended overland trip. This list will hopefully include everything for a multi-month trip, potentially in several countries so it may be a bit more comprehensive than a 2 week trip. I can always not include things like passports if the trip is more local but I wanted a Master List so to speak.

Please review and let me know what I’ve forgotten. Thanks!

Attachments

• 78DA2D42-1893-4752-ACA1-5D8477838460.jpeg
    78DA2D42-1893-4752-ACA1-5D8477838460.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 210
Howdy

Your organizational skills make my brain hurt but good on you....

Camp chairs of your liking ? Did not see them in there.

I suspect you have a place for nearly everything on your list.....

We always try to take along some "extra space" and usually donate some clothes or tools, etc. during travel when something better lands in our lap at a thrift store etc.

DG

Looking at your list made me think of trying to find Waldo. :) There are a few things I carry I didn't see on your list:
  • insect repellent.
  • handful of miscellaneous bungee cords.
  • small collapsible wash basin.
  • clothes pins.

Your list looks good. I like having a dead blow hammer along for pounding stakes into the ground, or other items that need persuasion.

Looks good. Some suggestions:
Maps, gazetteers, trail guides, handheld gps, propane lighter, blister kit, single malt scotch whiskey, fresh veggies, trader joe's masala packet for flavoring things, 's' - hook to hang garbage bags off tailgate latch loops, costco pump bottle of hand disinfectant, face masks, latex gloves, air gauge, tire repair kit, air compressor, laundry bag, sheets, pillows, pillow cases, kind bars, wasabi peas, hand lens, indoor outdoor digital thermometer, head lamps, gardener's clippers (seriously), kevlar lined leather gloves (unbelievably useful).

Things we carry that I don't see on your list:

Maps
Gorilla Tape
Velcro
Tie wire
Shovel
Saw

Lots of good suggestions. I'll add : solar shower, bucket, shovel, silky katanaboy, small cross pein hammer, ratchet straps, rotopax, compass, headlamps, AA and D batteries, army survival manual, sibley guide, survival poncho, Gaia GPS on my iphone. In less traveled areas I carry a 2nd spare.

Updated list!
Thanks to the great comments here and another forum I’ve expanded the list but at the same time reorganized it to be more user friendly. Please let me know what you think..

Updated list!
Thanks to the great comments here and another forum I’ve expanded the list but at the same time reorganized it to be more user friendly. Please let me know what you think..

Attachments

• BCEF5831-B572-41D7-A096-8296AFAFBC5A.jpeg
    BCEF5831-B572-41D7-A096-8296AFAFBC5A.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 109
Just me, but I’d replace the jumper cables with a jumper starter battery. Since I bought mine a few years ago, I have found it more useful and easier to use than jumper cables.

Also, spare serpentine belt. When I replaced mine the last time, I kept the old one, which was still good, as my emergency backup.

My checklist has a lot more detail around clothes, to ensure we have enough of both hot and cold/wet weather gear along.

You mention Wet Wipes. Unless you bring each and every one back with you and dispose of them properly, I would remove them from the list. In the wild, they will never decompose, they are made of plastic and will remain in the environment, buried or not, for decades.

Back
Top Bottom