custom springs questions

Grvlrdr

Hi all, I'm in the queue to get an ATC Bobcat on my Toyota Tacoma in a couple months, and am looking at suspension upgrades. I'm thinking about going with custom springs from Alcan Springs. If you have any experience with using Alcan springs or other custom springs, I'd like to hear from you. When I talked with Lew at Alcan, he recommended adding shackles and hangers, which does add to the cost. Is this something others have done and something you recommend or just an upsell?

I am not mechanically inclined, so I'm looking for a set it and forget it option rather than airbags. Plus it looks like airbags may not help with the additional weight of the camper.

Thanks in advance for any help or recommendations.

I have old man emu mild (AR:cool: lift with their heavier than stock springs on the rear of my Tacoma. I’m also using airbags. It feels a little mushy without airbags when camper is on, and when camper is off I lower airbag pressure to minimum, for a better ride. I also have a fully equipped Bobcat camper.

If you're planning to leave the camper on all the time, custom springs are the best approach, and Alcan makes very good springs. Not sure why they would recommend changing shackles, and not sure what you mean by "hangers."

Air bags can easily compensate for the weight of a camper, but you lose some compliance and add complexity. They're really best if you plan to remove the camper between trips.

57Pan and JHanson, I starting to rethink the custom springs as I'm not positive I want to leave the camper on full time. Any recommendations for air bags?

I didn't know what the hangers were either, but I found them online.

I have super springs on my Chevy 1/2 ton and they carry the load of the camper. They only engage when the camper is on. Nice ride with it off. I do also have FS ride rite bags to level the load and they help when fully loaded for a trip. They make super springs for Tacomas. Just another option.

57Pan said:
I have old man emu mild (AR:cool: lift with their heavier than stock springs on the rear of my Tacoma. I’m also using airbags. It feels a little mushy without airbags when camper is on, and when camper is off I lower airbag pressure to minimum, for a better ride. I also have a fully equipped Bobcat camper.
Did you do the lift with extra springs to carry the Bobcat, or because you wanted extra lift? I'm trying to figure out if airbags are enough, or should I beef up the leaf springs as well?

If adding air bags, it is a good idea to also instal Daystar cradles. These allow the truck to maintain maximum wheel travel without ripping the bag off its mount. For a complete system slap a sway bar back there as well. Hellwig makes a good one.

Air bags are also great for leveling the truck when you park to camp. Just make sure to leave at least 5 psi in each bag and don't forget to re-inflate before you get back on the road.

I prefer the belt and suspender approach of springs AND airbags combo. If for some reason an airbag fails, my super springs can carry the load until the bag gets replaced.

I originally did the lift first, before I had my Bobcat camper. I have to believe that the stock springs would be too lite. I definitely feel the weight of the camper on my truck, but with the set up I have it does handle good.

With a Tacoma, I would most definitely get some custom springs to handle the extra weight. You don't have to go full extra HD or anything, but should get some with more spring rate to offset the weight.

Airbags are a nice to have, and recommended. However, relying on only airbags is probably not wise.

I too have had the Firestone bags in combination of HD springs and it is awesome. I usually only add about 10-15 psi when fully loaded and 5 psi (minimum recommended) when unloaded. I have yet to have a failure or have any other failures on the Firestone bags on my fathers truck and 2 friends trucks that I have installed them on. People are weary of bags from the AirLift days - they were notorious for leaking.

Air bags alone has some additional disadvantages if there is failure on a trip. And regardless of failure they are often going to limit your suspension travel (which is OK on pavement). I vote for spring upgrade. Also you may wish to upgrade brakes if you have an older truck. Some of those tacos had drum brakes!

Shout out to Boise Spring Works. They put on a nice leaf pack on my Colorado and it rides real nice. No air bags needed as I did on my Tacoma.

After using Firestone airbags for the past 16 years without issue, and now somewhat recently having my local 4x4 shop add a couple of springs to reduce my reliance on airbags, I think I am finally ready to cut the airbag cord and have a proper spring pack built as I almost never remove my camper. If your camper will be in full time, a custom spring pack would be the way to go IMO.

Hello, can I piggyback on this thread with another question?

I have a Tacoma with stock suspension that's getting an AT Overland Atlas installed in a few months. I chose this camper partially because of its low weight at 390 lbs dry. But with the additional weight of gear I will likely have to upgrade to some heavier leaf springs. The guy doing the install recommends an add a leaf kit, but I'm thinking I might just get a new set of springs, maybe Deaver stage 2 (400 - 600 lbs) or stage 3's (700 - 1,000 lbs)

Question is, should I get the leaf springs installed now before I have the camper installed or wait until after? I'm concerned that if I have them installed first I might misjudge the weight and get springs that are too stiff. But if I install them afterwards the rear end might be sagging on the drive home, or lead to some other dangerous situation I'm not aware of. Should I wait and get the vehicle weighed before and after the install, find the difference and upgrade the springs later based on the added weight?

If anyone has experience with this I would very much appreciate their advice.

I don't recommend add-a-leaf kits, which can add stress risers in spots the original springs weren't designed for. I think the Deaver Stage 2 plus heavier shocks will be your correct choice. If you add them beforehand you'll have a really bouncy ride until the camper is on; if you wait you'll be sagging significantly but probably not dangerously. You won't want to drive at night as your headlamps will be aimed way too high.

That was my gut feeling on the add-a-leaf kit. I'd rather just replace the whole leaf pack for peace of mind. The current shocks are stock Bilstein 4600's.

As for the springs, I guess I will wait and put them on afterwards. I'd rather not have to guess at the loaded weight of the vehicle and I have cabinets and other stuff that I can't find manufacturer weight specs on.

Back
Top Bottom