damaged canvas

smileyd

Advanced Member
My canvas is in bad shape. I would like to patch it rather than replace it.

Ben, here are the pictures of the damage. I hope I can repair this from home. Looks like the previous owner taped the broken seams where the canvas was originally sown. The bad part is that its ripping on the edge there in the last picture. We plan on attaching a detachable awning system all around the camper roof. It rains alot where we are going and we don't expect our camper to we water proof.

Attachments

• IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 492
  • IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 492
  • IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 482
repair

I sent you a private message about the repair. With the damage on the one corner it is going to be rough to patch it back together. I have an idea that may work. Give me a call when you get a chance.

Sincerely,

Ben
www.allterraincampers.com

I am sending you what I hope is enough material today to patch up your liner. Most liners in that shape I would say to replace and you may still have too.

I would use the material and patch right over your damaged area. If it is possible to run the patch from top to bottom I would. That way you will have the patch material being held by the top and bottom trim and it should hold up over time.

Let me know how it works out.

Sincerely,

Ben
www.allterraincampers.com

Thank you Ben.

it is in bad shape I will have Dorian call you.

Thanks again for the material!!! We need is much as you can spare.

liner fix

The material is on it's way to you. Dropped it off at the UPS store today. I think they said that you should have it by Wendsday.

Let me know if you don't see it by the end of the week.

Thank you Thank you Thank you

I ordered the VLP Glue.

I will try to call you tomarrow or during the week. I wanted Dorian to because he may understand your instructions better but he is really busy and shy.

Thanks again!! Wish me luck on the repair!!

repair

Your more than welcome. Please give me a call before you try to patch the liner. I do want to talk to you about how to go about it.

I can understand busy, buy shy??? You own a FWC, no reason to be shy now. :):)

I'll also ask Jeff about the propane tank in the morning for you to see what he has to say about the older lay down models.

Got the vinyl got the VLP glue. I hope that I am successful in this project.

Ben,

how do I patch it up by the roof again. I totally understood the bottom part but the top was a little fuzzy. Don't worry I havent started yet.

I don't see a way for me to get in under the roof with the vinyl but I can tuck it in way up there if that makes sense. Let me know again the deal on the roof. Sorry for making you repeat yourself.

If anyone sees a 4wc with dirty and worn brown vinyl with grey patches all over it you will know it's us. hahaha Hey we are young hopefully there will be upgrades in our future. haha

Post some pics when you're done. I'm sure some day I'll have an oops, and need to make a repair myself ;)

repair

On the roof, just remove enough of the screws on the trim so that you can get the patch material under the trim. This way when you finish the patch and put the screws back in, they will be holding the material underneath the trim.

The only way to try to get the material under the roof itself would be to pull the staples out of the roof along the edge and pull the roof skin up. I really don't think you need to go to that extreme to patch the liner.

If you need more details, please give me a call.

Thanks Ben,

I understand. I will do just that. By the way I hope you like homemade chocolate chip cookies. I am a decent baker and don't worry I allready tested like 10 of them. Make sure you open your package whenever it gets there, I hope the cookies stay really fresh. I sent it UPS on Sunday.

I will start the patch work today. It's gonna look pretty funny but we don't want to spend money on new vinyl until after our long trip.

Thanks again,
your the best,
Angelina

cookies

Thank you very much. I am sure that Marty will smell them within 5 miles of here. I just hope I am here when they show up so I will at least get to see one.

Please give me a call if you have any problems with the patch work.

cookies ?

It's true I used to have a cookie problem. But now I am old and I am not supposed to eat more than a hand full a day. So Ben will get to see them and maybe even get to eat a few. We will also be sharing them with Jeff and Don and they are large cookie eaters so it really won't be just me eating them.
Thanks in advance.

Marty

cookies

The cookies showed up. Thank you very much.

Marty is correct that he is getting old. It is amazing though the amount of cookies that he can stack up in a hand though and call it a hand full.

I actually not only got to see the cookies, I just ate one also. Very good.

Thank you again.

cookies

Thanks for the cookies they were good and even Ben did not go without. When do you plan on being finished with your camper. those photos of burning campers could be any brand of camper. don't forget the new fire ext.
home depot sells the 10 bc for about ten dollars. Just so you know I am the tester around here. In other words when thier is a fire normaly part of me is in it. haha

Marty

I am glad you both enjoyed the cookies.

We plan to be finished by May, but you never know. We have family staying with us so it delayed our progression slightly. Still working on the vinyl. I patched some straight angles and it worked great. Dorian said I did a great job. I am tackling the ripped corner today. I am nervous because I too am worried the fabric won't latch onto the existing vinyl. I did what you said and detached the trim so I could get the fabric under there, worked like a charm. I will post pictures of our progress a little later once I get a little more work done with it.

Dorian ripped out all the electric and is replacing it will boat wiring. He is putting breakers and all kinds of electrical stuff. I have know idea what he is doing but I will have him explain it to everyone once he gets a hold on it, he is learning as he goes. yikes

We recieved our propane tank but havent touched it yet don't even know if it fits yet. haha We haven't bought our new batteries yet. We have so much work to do and only weekends to work on it. All fun stuff though!

Thanks for all your help everyone, I don't know what we would do without it.
Angelina

Canvas repair

Attachments

• phpxy8GDLPM.jpg
    phpxy8GDLPM.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 273
  • phpHu2axWPM.jpg
    phpHu2axWPM.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 257
The two of you must have a good amount of Patience. You did a good job on that from what I can see. I have a ( trade secret) that I will share with you. The black ugly crud that lives along the edge of the outer moldings all over the camper comes right off with WD-40.

Marty

A lot of things come off with WD40. I use that to take grease off my hands before using soap. Father-in-law use to keep a bucket of old engine oil in his shed, when done working on greasy farm machinery he would dip his hands in the oil and clean the grease off with it. Then just washed the oil off.

Off subject I know, just came to me and had the urge to share.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom