Death Valley 2012

dorocks

I took my wife to Death Valley this year. Took my son last. She was amazed at the diversity. We started outside the park and stopped at Trona Pinnacles and Ballarat. We went up Hunter Pass to the racetrack and then up to Ubehebe Crater. We did not find too many places to dry camp on the west side so we went down to the campground near the northern park booth. It was full but the man overseeng the campground said we could stay just outside the entrance. Was quiet and peaceful and free.

We headed up to the Titus Canyon trail outside the park and got into it a little way when I saw some not so bright couple who went on the trail in a Honda. I guess he shook off the lower radiator hose. I managed to get it back on for him and we used one of his flats of drinking water to refill his radiator. I guess they got out OK. I followed them for a bit to make sure the hose stayed on.

We got out of the trail and headed to Artist's Point road.

We headed up Echo Canyon to camp. Is the quietest place ever. I heard one jet fly over - that was it.
Next morning we went up to the Inyo Mine and took a flashlight and went in the mine up to the upshaft. Jeanne said that was far enough and we headed out.

We then headed over to Zabriskie Point and the 20 Mule Team drive and then headed down to Badwater.

Great weather and not too many tourists considering it was a holiday weekend.

I posted some of the pictures. Will add more to the library later. Made a separate library for the Bighorn sheep sequence.

Keith and Jeanne Barnes
La Mesa CA

http://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/Vacation-Photos/Death-Valley-2012/21570440_mStf3d#!i=1721453417&k=cWQg5CW

http://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/Vacation-Photos/Bighorn-Sheep-Death-Valley/21585525_GPLksF#!i=1721369759&k=xG8zTQ5

In Ballarat they say that old Power Wagon in one of your photos was once owned by Charlie Manson. What do you think, DoRocks?

Keith,
Your bighorn sheep photos are excellent!
Gene

x2
Nice shots on your smugmug site, Keith! Looks like that sheep might be carrying a pregnancy. I liked the Racetrack photos too. We were just there at Christmas.
Amazing that Hunter Pass is still open.

You have a lot of very nice photos in those sets, Keith. Thanks for sharing!
smile.gif

(just getting around to viewing stuff I missed here while "out there" myself)

Back
Top Bottom