Death Valley - December 2022

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
There was a break in the seemingly endless line of storms moving off the Pacific into California. We managed to sneak in a quick trip during this break. If you're curious why it took so much time for me to complete my last trip report, this is one of the reasons. Here we go -

Death valley - December 2022

Please enjoy. :)

A fair (???) division of labor! "I've just finished writing this. I'll call the Lady inside to help edit. She's outside shoveling snow."

We love Johnson Canyon. Thanks for the trip report!

It had to be old because it was made in the USA.”
Sad, but mostly true…

Thanks for letting us tag along, it’s been 14 years since I’ve been in Johnson Canyon. I’m glad the old Airflow is still in place.

Vic Harder said:
Those concentric circles in the rock are really beautiful. Any idea how they formed?
Vic, geologists call that 'flow banding'. Very common in extrusive igneous rocks such as ash flows. Think of the swirls in a marble cake batter. The ash comes out as a dense ground hugging cloud of gas, half melted glass fragments and chunks of all kinds of rock and debris. Look up Nuee Ardant. When the mix of gas and ash cools enough to turn into a hot gloppy mass, that is when the flow banding forms. Later, when long cooled, erosion carves down into the rock, like you would slice a marble cake, and voila -- you have fascinating color bands.
Tony

Another great report. A few similarities to our last trip there, when we camped near the airflow one night, and out at the mouth where you camped another night. We hiked up the canyon and ended up on the higher route and ran out of time before making it to the ranch as well. We didn't ever spot the lower route though. Darn short winter days anyway. Thanks for the write up and the pics!

AWG_Pics said:
Vic, geologists call that 'flow banding'. Very common in extrusive igneous rocks such as ash flows. Think of the swirls in a marble cake batter. The ash comes out as a dense ground hugging cloud of gas, half melted glass fragments and chunks of all kinds of rock and debris. Look up Nuee Ardant. When the mix of gas and ash cools enough to turn into a hot gloppy mass, that is when the flow banding forms. Later, when long cooled, erosion carves down into the rock, like you would slice a marble cake, and voila -- you have fascinating colors bands.
Tony
Fascinating, thanks!

Vic Harder said:
Fascinating, thanks!
Yes, the rock has fine parallel layers. When the surface is rounded, it shows as lovely concentric circles. Climbing up the canyon is a whole lot more fun than following the yellow brick road. :)

Thanks for sharing. There are so many favorites from your trips.
Can't decide between the indigenous rock art, geologic rock art ,or that fantastic scenery.

I guess it's all the above.

Frank

AWG_Pics said:
A fair (???) division of labor! "I've just finished writing this. I'll call the Lady inside to help edit. She's outside shoveling snow."

We love Johnson Canyon. Thanks for the trip report!
A fair division of labor? Fair does not matter at all. There is no way to slow her down. I have to think of creative ideas to try to entice her to take a break and come inside. Ideas such as, "Want to help edit the blog?"

Wandering Sagebrush said:
It had to be old because it was made in the USA.”
Sad, but mostly true…

Thanks for letting us tag along, it’s been 14 years since I’ve been in Johnson Canyon. I’m glad the old Airflow is still in place.
Thank you Mr. Sage! It's time for you to return. :)

Occidental said:
Another great report. A few similarities to our last trip there, when we camped near the airflow one night, and out at the mouth where you camped another night. We hiked up the canyon and ended up on the higher route and ran out of time before making it to the ranch as well. We didn't ever spot the lower route though. Darn short winter days anyway. Thanks for the write up and the pics!
Thanks Occidental! Yes, darn short days but we will not hibernate. :)

Lighthawk said:
Excellent report, as usual. DV offers so many opportunities to explore, and my list keeps getting longer!
Thanks Lighthawk! :)

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thanks for sharing. There are so many favorites from your trips.
Can't decide between the indigenous rock art, geologic rock art ,or that fantastic scenery.

I guess it's all the above.

Frank

"all of the above," thanks Frank! :)

rubberlegs said:
We've missed so much on our trips to Johnson Canyon! Reasons to back and thanks for your report.
Thanks Steve! :)

Back
Top Bottom