Death Valley - in a passenger car and tent

Vic

camping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range
Hi All - I'll be passing by Death Valley in a few weeks and plan to extend my business trip to spend a few nights. This time, however, I won't be in my trusty Ram and Hallmark - its a low clearance passenger car and tent. So I know I'm going to be somewhat limited to 'tourist' sights. I've never really had to consider road conditions to trail heads before and wanted to ask for some thoughts on hikes near the pavement.

Any suggestions? I figure Ubehebe Crater is safe.

Has anyone been on the road to Keane Mine lately? I'm not afraid of a gravel road as long as its in good condition - I'll just take it slow.

Thanks in advance,

-Vic

You should be able to make Keane no problem if you take it slow. I did help a guy out that had a flat in an xterra just after it opened last year, he had really crappy tires.

Eureka Dunes is pretty cool. It's a dirt road, but should be okay for passenger vehicles.

There's nearby hiking from Emigrant Canyon campground you might check out.

Bird and Hike guy has some great descriptions of routes.

Thanks all - I will check them out.

Kind of funny on the weather - I have Death Valley as one of the locations on the weather app on my phone and was thinking it was unseasonably cool this year - just added Furnace Creek and its about a 20' difference. Not sure where the weather app is reading but clearly not the visitor center area. Good heads up though and will do my wandering early/late in the day. Or hang in the higher country.

Vic said:
Thanks all - I will check them out.

Kind of funny on the weather - I have Death Valley as one of the locations on the weather app on my phone and was thinking it was unseasonably cool this year - just added Furnace Creek and its about a 20' difference. Not sure where the weather app is reading but clearly not the visitor center area. Good heads up though and will do my wandering early/late in the day. Or hang in the higher country.
When we met last year in DV and I asked you about your Hallmark you might remember that we were in a rental SUV and managed to go to the racetrack and several other interesting roads...is there any chance you could rent an SUV?

Back
Top Bottom