Death Valley Questions again?

jha6av8r

Okay gang, let me ask the DV question a slightly different way. This will be our first trip to DV and it's being planned for the week before Easter Sunday and we will probably have 4 to 5 days in the park. We would be entering from the West at Panamint Springs.
  1. Can I get diesel at Panamint Springs and/or Stovepipe Wells?
  2. Where would you NOT go if you were by yourself?
  3. What would you put on your have to see list if this was your first trip with 4 to 5 days to explore?
Thanks for the help!

John

Only regular unleaded at Stovepipe Wells. I believe full service at Furnace Creek but check.

Drive Titus Canyon and hike up Mosaic Canyon.

Diesel is available at Furnace Creek but very expensive. If you're going to drive Titus Canyon (a must see), continue on past the canyon entrance about 5 or 6 miles to Beaty Nevada and fuel up there. Last time I was there (last winter) Diesel was over a dollar cheaper in Beaty. Must see's are Scotty's Castle, Charcoal Kilns, Badwater, Artist's drive loop, The Racetrack, Ubehebe Crater, Augerberry Peak, Rhyolite Ghost Town, Harmony Borax Works, plus about 500 more great spots :D First trip by myself, I would Not try to get to Saline Valley via Lippincott Pass from the racetrack. Spend your last night in Saline Valley (arrive via south pass) soakin' in the hot springs. Get yourself a good map and have fun !!

John, go to Beatty or Pahrump for diesel. It's almost $2.00 a gallon less. Combine with a grocery run to the Pahrump Walmart.

I would go to Wildrose for a night or two. We saw a herd of rams at Agurreberry. You can see the Eureka mine, too. The racetrack is cool, but we were told by friends that some cretins walked all over the playa when it was wet. Download the Trimble map of the park, but get more detail than default settings. I would also pick up a Nat Geo map, plus a hiking guide.

There are some interesting canyons off the Westside road, too.

A Scotty's tour is an interesting diversion, and worth it as well.

Steve

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Still planning but so far I'm thinking Rhyolite and Titus Canyon then to Uhebehe Crater to the Racetrack then out Hidden Valley / Hunter Mountain to the South pass for Saline Valley. Most likely disperse camp the whole time. Still don't have a feel for time.

You can see all there is to see at Rhyolite in an hour or two. It is close to the entry to Titus Canyon. On our last trip we got gas in Beatty in the afternoon, hit Rhyolite, camped on BLM land just a half mile beyond Rhyolite, and hit Titus Canyon in the morning. Have lunch at Leadville on the Titus Canyon Drive, and be back to the Scotty's Castle Road about 2:00. From there you can either go to Mesquite CG and do Scotty's Castle the next morning before heading out to Racetrack or just head towards Racetrack camping somewhere nearby (we have camped at Teakettle Junction and on the Hunter Mountain Road near Lost Burro Mine) and hit the Racetrack in the AM.

Having just got back (and as someone else stated) diesel was available at Furnace Creek. Not so sure about Stovepipe. Saline valley was a highlight for us but Titus was closed. We thought Dante's was pretty cool for a great view of the valley although not much more out there although it'd be cool if you could get a "tour" of the (closed) Ryan mine (you'll see the buildings if you head to Dante).

It is a good idea to keep up on the information posted by the National Park Service

DVNP Website

on Death Valley's daily morning report - move down and click on morning report

occasionally what is posted may be a day or two old, but for the most part they do pretty well keeping up to date what is on line.

ski3pin said:
It is a good idea to keep up on the information posted by the National Park Service

DVNP Website

on Death Valley's daily morning report - move down and click on morning report

occasionally what is posted may be a day or two old, but for the most part they do pretty well keeping up to date what is on line.
Thanks Ski... I've been using the NPS site extensively for planning. There's a lot of good information there.

We are also currently planning to head down to Death Valley maybe March 30th. In addition to some of the spots mentioned I was interested in Fall Canyon too. And, I'm considering trying Lippincott Mine Road; though not sure which direction (uphill or downhill) to travel it. Weather forecast is looking nice.
Dave h.

Down is easier but if you encounter somebody coming up you'll be the one doing the backing up. It's a good idea to use any turn out and your co-pilot to constantly scan for rigs coming up.

SunMan said:
Down is easier but if you encounter somebody coming up you'll be the one doing the backing up. It's a good idea to use any turn out and your co-pilot to constantly scan for rigs coming up.
Thanks, that is good information to consider for the Lippincott Mine Road segment. I've read that there may be one or more very narrow section(s) with a steep drop off. I might also consider the direction of travel that would position my girlfriend passenger away from the cliff. Any recollection of those sections? Or perhaps the road alternates on either side of the canyon.

I agree with others that Titus canyon is a must see. I will be going there too on this trip. The one time I did it about 5 years ago I was a little disappointed to see a minivan there. Also planning the Fall Canyon hike which begins near the end of Titus.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
John, go to Beatty or Pahrump for diesel. It's almost $2.00 a gallon less. Combine with a grocery run to the Pahrump Walmart.
Steve
I appreciate the gas is cheaper else where but consider the importance of supporting the little guy trying to operate in remote locations. More importantly we need those services in those remote locations. Having never been to DV it sounds as though it is such an important provision and is vital to being able to visit the park. This was conveyed to me a by a proprietor in my neck of the woods who operated a very isolated gas station and subsequently charged more. He said people complained when they put 10 bucks in their tank to get them to the cheaper station in town, and they complained even more when he closed down the fuel service. I wish I had filled up more at his hole in the wall then giving shell my hard earned money. I really miss having that service.

Its a chevron so I think volume might not be as critical. I fueled up there just because if I ran low I'd be kicking myself for not paying an extra ten bucks. Didn't need it but peace of mind is definitely a factor.

Ramblinman said:
I appreciate the gas is cheaper else where but consider the importance of supporting the little guy trying to operate in remote locations. More importantly we need those services in those remote locations. Having never been to DV it sounds as though it is such an important provision and is vital to being able to visit the park. This was conveyed to me a by a proprietor in my neck of the woods who operated a very isolated gas station and subsequently charged more. He said people complained when they put 10 bucks in their tank to get them to the cheaper station in town, and they complained even more when he closed down the fuel service. I wish I had filled up more at his hole in the wall then giving shell my hard earned money. I really miss having that service.
I would not call Xantera (the concessionaire at many national parks) the little guy. It's my belief they gouge the day lights out of the tourists through greed, and because they can. The little guy is the locally owned Rebel station in Beatty. I have acquaintances who have worked for Xantera, and they don't have particularly good things to say about that corporation either.

My first rule of western desert travel is don't pass a fuel station w/o topping off. My second rule is don't buy fuel in DV proper if I can help it. I'd rather buy it in PSR, Beatty, or Trona if possible.

From the Racetrack, climb up to Ubehebe Peak. Some really cool mines up there. The view of the Racetrack and to the West are just over the top outstanding.

Back
Top Bottom