Death Valley Ralley Jan 17 Locations

EdoHart

Grasshopper
I'm starting to think that Darwin, CA may be a good location. I haven't been there for over 20 years. At that time there were a few residents (maybe 10), but if you drove a few minutes south on the dirt road (easily drivable in 2 wheel drive), there was enough space for 9 vehicles (my last check of the headcount thread), though we may have to spread out some. It is a primitive site at best for non-residents.

Does anyone have any current information on Darwin, CA?

Map of the area.

Attached is a wide area view surrounding Darwin. The solid and dotted, red and gold highlights are the routes my software calculated given the city of origin for each of the Wanders who responded to the "Head Count" post.

Attachments

• DVRalley-2009.jpg
    DVRalley-2009.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 347
I've heard of Darwin, I'll have to look into it more. With all these people going, we are going to need to figure a way around the permit issue. I'm sure we will figure something out.

Permits? We don't need no stinking permits!!;)

I say play dumb and ask for forgiveness if necessary:D

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've heard of Darwin, I'll have to look into it more. With all these people going, we are going to need to figure a way around the permit issue. I'm sure we will figure something out.

Darwin is a few miles outside of the National Park, which is what made me think it might be a good location to meet; no restrictions on group size as long as it doesn't piss off the locals. There may be nobody living in Darwin these days - I don't know. Even if there are people living there, I think respectful Wanderers, a mile or so down the road, wouldn't have a problem.

Balarat is just outside the southern end of the park. Not to far from Trona(last gas). They have a big open camping area that could accomodate everyone for a night. No gas, no ammenities. Bush camping. Lots of Quads when we were there. Close to goler wash and surprise Cyn.Judging by the above picture, it's much nicer than Darwin

My uninvolved, can't make the rally:)() $.02

Here's some info from the NPS site. Seems that the permits are "voluntary" but there IS a limit to 6 vehicles per site. We could probably do some exploring during the day and split up into two sites at night?

Where is backcountry camping allowed?

More than two miles away from any developed area, paved road, or "day use only" area.
Camp only in previously disturbed areas and park your vehicle close to the roadway to minimize impact.
Where is backcountry camping NOT allowed?

Camping is NOT allowed on the valley floor from Ashford Mill in the south to 2 miles north of Stovepipe Wells.

Backcountry campsites must be more than 100 yards from any water source to protect these fragile areas for wildlife use.

Camping is NOT allowed on the following "day use only" dirt roads:

Titus Canyon Road
Mosaic Canyon Road
West Side Road
Wildrose Road
Skidoo Road
Aguereberry Point Road
Cottonwood Canyon Road (first 8 miles only)
Racetrack Road (from Teakettle Junction to Homestake Dry Camp)
Camping is NOT allowed at the following historic mining areas:

Keane Wonder Mine
Lost Burro Mine
Ubehebe Lead Mine
Camping should be avoided near all mining areas for personal safety.
If in doubt whether an area is open to camping please check at the nearest Ranger Station or the Furnace Creek Visitor Center.

Free voluntary permits for backcountry camping may be obtained at the visitor center or any ranger station. Solo hikers may want to provide additional information about plans and emergency contacts.

Overnight group size is limited to 15 people and no more than 6 vehicles. Larger groups will need to split up and camp at least 1 mile apart.

Campfires are prohibited, except in fire pits in developed campgrounds. Gathering wood is unlawful and burning of wood is not allowed in the backcountry. Campstoves and barbeque grills are allowed. Charcoal ashes must be packed out.

Edna and I are 'possibles' so I was wondering about last minute|real-time communications.

How do you fellows figure on staying in touch?

Or are you going to have a rendezvous point?

I'm assuming we'll have a rendezvous point but communications are a good point. They say theres no cell coverage but its been my experience if you get on a peak you can get out. Exchanging some phone numbers might be a good idea.

2meter ham, someone should choose a frequency. Even though I'm not licensed yet I can always listen.

CB radio. Once again choose a channel. I'd suggest something in the middle. Family radio, same thing.

I'm assuming we'll have a rendezvous point but communications are a good point. They say theres no cell coverage but its been my experience if you get on a peak you can get out. Exchanging some phone numbers might be a good idea.

2meter ham, someone should choose a frequency. Even though I'm not licensed yet I can always listen.

CB radio. Once again choose a channel. I'd suggest something in the middle. Family radio, same thing.

I'll suggest 2 meter frequency of 146.52 MHZ. It's a national simplex frequency and no repeaters to deal with.

As far as CB and FRS, someone else can make suggestions for those.

Craig, when you leaving Sacramento? We are planning on leaving Friday AM. Interested in a caravan down??

Bob..

Bob, which way are you planning to go? I was thinking of leaving thursday evening but the more I think about it, friday is probably better. I"m usually pretty wiped after work.

For CB I like ch23. Even if you have old (really old school) radio you can use it.

Back
Top Bottom