Death Valley Trip March 2011

Greatbasinguide

Advanced Member
Our recent DV trip, Photos here

Trip Report

Trip Report,

Day 1. Camp 3/4th mile north of Ballarat off Indian Ranch Road. Night was cold, temp at freezing. We had a Burro visitation at 2:00 AM, he brayed next to the truck, sounded like a Locomotive whistle going off in our ears, dogs went nuts. But he left, and did not bother us again.

We drove south and took the Goler Wash Road, it is blocked by large rocks about 1/2 mile up canyon from wash. The road is partially washed out, and large boulders lay in the road. We turned around, far cry from some years ago when I took a 4x4 station wagon across with no problems.

We continued down valley looking for the China Lake reservation boundary. We did not see it, but stopped and shot our pistols.

Came back for lunch, read a while, then took the high Pleasant Canyon Road, which was no problem for the Jeep, just a bit narrow with good fall offs. We drove up the canyon a bit to where a fire had burned the shrubbery.

We returned via the creek bottom road.

Day 2, We were awakened in the night by coyotes yipping, and our dogs barking. I got up, put the dogs in the cab of the truck. The coyotes stopped yipping. I think they knew exactly what they were doing. They wanted to lure the dogs away from the truck to kill and eat them.

In the morning we took Indian Ranch Road north to pavement, then to the first turnout on the highway to DV so Laurie could use her cell phone. Then back to the dirt, enroute to Osborne Cabin, which we missed the turn off for, but, we did motor up to Lookout City, and took in the view. Then back down and off to PSR for lunch, good burgers.

We returned to the truck broke camp and drove over the hill to DV, the truck got 5 mpg going up the grade, and 99.9 mpg going down into DV......

Day 3, We camped up Echo Canyon just past the 2 mile mark, aside from the occasional passerby it was a quiet and peaceful camp with a great view across DV to the northwest. Today’s drive was down the west side road stopping at the tourist spots, Shorty’s grave, Bennett’s Well. Along here, about 9:30 on Wednesday near the Eagle Borax ruins occurred one of my pet peeves of city folk in the country.

Approaching us at a good clip was a white Chevrolet pick up with a pop top camper, either a 4 Wheel Drive or All Terrain make. He did not slow down, as I did, he passed us northbound spitting gravel and kicking up dust. It is rude to do that, one is supposed to slow to avoid throwing gravel on the other vehicle I know that there were wanderthewest campers in DV this week, this fellow may be one, and may learn from this, as perhaps others will, this piece of country courtesy.

We then went up Warm Springs Canyon on the Historical Quibble Expedition. I will cover what I accomplished there in a separate paper. We crossed the divide into Redlands Canyon with the intent of driving as far as we could, then walking to the scene of my near drowning and to Ox Jump Falls. But, there is a new barrier sign across the road at Wood Canyon telling us this was a wilderness. We wondered how long that sign would last before someone pulled it out. Motorcycle tracks went on beyond.

We turned back, and went to the Geologist Cabin for lunch, where we met three people, chatted a bit, ate, and returned to our camp.

Before we left home I visited with my mother, who does not get out much anymore after a lifetime of travel and adventure. She asked me if I had ever eaten at the Furnace Creek Inn, I replied that I had not, not being rich.

She said she had, and she wanted Laurie and I to eat there, so she gave me money to cover the supper.

I was not enthusiastic, knowing the typical quality of National Park Concessionaire food. But, we showered, got dressed up (a shirt with buttons and bolo) and set out.

We got there early enough to have time to sit on the long terrace and watched the stars, with a glass of wine.

The service was first rate, Chef Michelle came out and visited with us, all the men stared at Laurie, and the food was excellent. They worked hard to make the meal memorable. Laurie had the “Chicken Chef Michelle” I had a half rack of lamb.

We had Jalapeno Cheesecake for our starter, as I just had to see what it would be. That was darned good too.

Day 5,

The first warm morning, and a day of taking it easy and seeing the nearby tourist spots, which we seldom visit.

Which included sitting in the new seats in the courtyard of the General Store and watching the tourists wander by.

A group of KLR riders came in, we had seen them a few days before sitting on the porch at Ballarat having a few beers with Rocky and George. I went over to talk bikes with them, they came from Arkansas to ride DV, but were not especially friendly.... so on we went.

The 8 hour drive back to the coast went easily enough, for an 8 hour drive....

I'm so envious!!! I really want to see DV but I'm usually so broke this time of year snowmobiling!!!

What a great outfit!!! Pop up towing a Jeep. :cool:

Now all you need is a dirt bike on the rear of the Jeep!!! :D

Silvertip, don't say that. You know how tempted I've been to carry a motorcycle in my Jeep? :cool:

Nice report. Sorry to hear some ahole didn't slow down. I tend to drive fast on dirt roads but I always slow down, way down when approaching another vehicle, pedestrian etc.

I did not take photos in Goler, being annoyed we just turned around and went some other place.
No motorcycle on the rig, but we did have our mountain bikes.

I need to do some research, see if I can find a front mount that can handle my KLR.

The pop top is a great thing to have. I have never thought much of those giant cab overs pushing all that wind and leaning way over on the turns.

And, yes, people who do not slow down on dirt roads when passing by another rig, need to go to common courtesy school.

We drove south and took the Goler Wash Road, it is blocked by large rocks about 1/2 mile up canyon from wash. The road is partially washed out, and large boulders lay in the road. We turned around, far cry from some years ago when I took a 4x4 station wagon across with no problems.

They must have been mighty big rocks. I've never known the GreatBasinGuide to be turned around by a few stink'n rocks :rolleyes:

Well, they could not have been more than 2 or 300 pounds each, but, I was feeling lazy.

Sure, OK, but were you on the correct road, GBG? Were you really in Goler Canyon? :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom