Decisions

Ramblinman

Long story short I bought a Hawk clear across the country (apparently I am a little impulsive). I was days away from putting in my order in for a new Hawk with many of the options listed. I stumbled on a 2010 Hawk going for half the price of new. What was nice, is that I had two friends who were able to look at the Camper on my behalf, one of which brokered the deal for me and is storing the camper on his acreage. So its bought and paid for. They both said the camper still has new smell and appears to have never been used. It is literally in mint condition.

Now ... how to get the camper from Ottawa to Edmonton in the most efficient manner? Some issues I need to consider:

1. In speaking with Stan, he cautions the use of a general transport or shipping company as they tend to cause damage to the campers. He strongly advises using an RV shipping company if possible.One company that will ship for a reasonable price stated that I would have to arrange for a forklift to place the camper on the flat deck.

2. The camper is a 3500km/2500 mile drive one way. 7000km round trip. Considering the drive I would likely spend 12-1500 dollars just in fuel. Of course the wear and tear adds to the cost as well as using my vacation time.

3. Rental companies do not seem to keen on renting a 1/2 ton one way across the country. Which appears at this time to negate my flying out and driving back.

4. Not too many shipping companies want anything to do with it in the first place.

I could wait till spring to pick the camper up when the roads are good, however, I am going crazy having purchased the camper and not being able to put my hands on it. I am living vicariously through you guys. The mod thread absolutely drove me crazy with envy! I go to sleep thinking about that camper and wake up thinking about the camper.

If I make the drive and pick up the camper now I would have to contend with the colder weather and possibility of bad roads. But .. I would have the camper to tinker with all winter and I would be ready to buck come spring. (With a lot less vacation time). Also if I pick up the camper now I do not have to worry about damage that a shipping company may cause. Even If I incur the expense of picking up the camper I figure I am still ahead of the game from a financial stand point. It would be really cool to drive across the country ... the patriot in me says this should be on my bucket list. (But who wants to do that in the middle of winter)

If I use a shipping company (cheapest quote I got was about 1300.00 and I would have to pick up in Saskatoon about a 5 hr drive from my residence) They may damage it. There is no guaranteed delivery time. Sounds as though they would coordinate pick up when they are in the area.

As a very last resort I could sell the camper and start over ..... which I really do not want to do.

I am posting this message to generate some ideas or solutions.

Any comments or criticisms are appreciated

Thanks

I would wait till the good weather comes back, drive out and pick up the camper and then see the sights taking some time on the way back, making the most of the camper and your vacation days together. Tough waiting, but the camper won't need much work (assuming it is not a shell) so no real justification to bring it home early to work on it. You might instead get your truck ready with electrical connection and reinforced tie down eyebolts, suspension mods. That might make the time go by more easily :)

Ditto. Wait for better weather and road conditions, get the truck ready (tie downs, electrical and make sure the truck is at top performance), earn more vacation in the mean time, then go get it and really enjoy the trip back with the camper. Prepare the boss for the idea that you want the extra time off to do this "life event". In other words get all your ducks in order. If it were me I would feel better with everything under my control in the move and not hoping that someone else takes care of the camper, which never happens. Be in control yourself.

You could ask Stan if they have a truck returning from the east. I expect the price quote would be about the same as your shipper but you could get the official FWC installation. Might have to wait until Spring as I am not sure how many deliveries they do that far north in winter.

Ditto. Wait for better weather and road conditions, get the truck ready (tie downs, electrical and make sure the truck is at top performance), earn more vacation in the mean time, then go get it and really enjoy the trip back with the camper. Prepare the boss for the idea that you want the extra time off to do this "life event". In other words get all your ducks in order. If it were me I would feel better with everything under my control in the move and not hoping that someone else takes care of the camper, which never happens. Be in control yourself.

Patience is hard, but the advise above makes sense to me. Hey, congrats on the camper score, looks like xmas came early for you!

I total agree with the above 100%. or sell it to me, ha ha..........................

at the most only three more months.............oh ya your Alb. add another month...............

cheers

Damn! I was hoping that you would say drop what you are doing, quit what your job, and pick that camper up at as soon as you can!

Oh well common sense prevails I guess. Thanks so much for your input.

Its gonna be a long winter, plotting, planning and waiting.

Back
Top Bottom