DeeZee vs horse stall mat?

Stringer

Hello, I'm trying to pick a truck bed mat to place beneath my camper.

I've heard lots of good feedback about both the DeeZee option as well as the horse stall mats.

As I understand it, the DeeZee is a more precise fit, is lighter, and has good ridged contours to shed water.

The horse stall mats are thicker, heavier, cheaper, and either don't fit precisely or need to be cut to shape.

I like the idea of the extra cushion from the horse stall mats, but I'm worried that they might not shed water as effectively as the DeeZee. On Tractor Supply's website, it looks like the underside of the horse mats has a raised coin texture - it looks like that would likely shed water pretty effectively, but I'm not sure. Has anyone run these mats with those "coins" facing the trailer rather than the truck?

I like the simplicity and the snug fit of the DeeZee, and the fact that the contours would likely keep water from pooling between the camper and the mat. But I feel like some extra cushion could come in handy. The horse stall mat is 3/4" (I think 1/2" is also an option), while the DeeZee I believe is 3/8".

I also found someone who bought both, and used his DeeZee to trace an outline on the horse stall mats. He then cut them to size and put the DeeZee on top of the horse stall mats.

Anyone have strong reasons to choose one or the other?

Thanks!

We have the horse stall mat -- which fit our truck bed exactly -- and was recommended by 4Wheel Campers and our local installer. No experience with the DeeZee. Our set up works very well and have not seen any moisture build up.

longhorn1 said:
We have had a Dee Zee mat for 9 years. Did the job when we had our camper.
Good to know. I'm definitely leaning that way.

AWG_Pics said:
We have the horse stall mat -- which fit our truck bed exactly -- and was recommended by 4Wheel Campers and our local installer. No experience with the DeeZee. Our set up works very well and have not seen any moisture build up.
Do you have the flat side of the mat touching the bottom of your camper? Or do you have the textured coin side facing the camper? I really like the extra cushion the horse stall mat would give - I just worry about water collecting. Thanks

I ordered the DeeZee. Excited about the custom fit and the not-flat surface. I'll update this thread after some months of use in case it could be of use to someone. When I get the camper installed, if I need any additional height, I could always run to the local tractor supply and buy the horse stall mats in addition to the DeeZee. At least that's my thinking as of right now.

Excellent. If you need more height then add plywood stringers/strips to the camper bottom (there may be some there already). The stall mat is super heavy and so dense that is doubtful that you would get any compression from a 1600 lb camper. Even a 1600 lb horse landing on a single hoof may not compress it.

Back
Top Bottom