delete

i made a small alum brkt to attach license plate , which included a hole to mount camera lens . cant remember company that sold it, but it is/was populat.. it worked fine, and i didnt need to figure out how to connect to camper.

I’m curious why you want to move it to the door. It seems that small jump in height wouldn’t provide that much more visibility. Your existing camera doesn’t appear to be in the way or prone to kicking when entering/exiting the camper. When I back up a trailer or the boat I often open the back door to increase visibility in conjunction with the camera. Camera on door means door must always be shut when backing up. Just wondering.

We removed the camera from the tailgate and mounted it on the camper under the floor, by fashioning a bracket so the angle was correct. It's not ideal for sure -- fairly distorted and you can't see very high -- but the wiring was a lot simpler since we reused the wire/camera from the tailgate. I think your idea will work better. Wires that cross a hinge can be a little tricky sometimes, but you'll figure out something good. Send photos!

I wonder if it was left of the door hinge would ones brain figure out you weren't square in the middle. Not sure mine would ;) but that would eliminate constant wire flex. Loop is good.

Here’s how I ran mine:

Attachments

• 11B3DEE9-D1F0-4B2F-A6C6-99C7082B212C.jpeg
    11B3DEE9-D1F0-4B2F-A6C6-99C7082B212C.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 33
I can, but I’m not at home so it will be later tonight. My cable is a fairly small diameter FAKRA patch cord purchased on Amazon. I ran it behind the aluminum strip on the door that protects the door from being dented by the folding step. Then it loops up to provide bending relief and then runs down the door frame in a channel of the frame that fits the wire perfectly. The truck connector is under the back of the bed. I have it taped in place along the door frame channel with good quality white electrical tape. The tape looks shabby after two seasons so I replace it when needed.

ramblinChet said:
Here is my second revision which includes a "door loop" for the wire with the green square representing 1x1-inch self adhesive cable ties.
rather than the self adhesive cable ties, why not use the existing screws holding the door frame in place?

Here are a few more pictures as requested

Attachments

• 6AA82D34-AFED-449B-B25F-EB0F2A992EBB.jpeg
    6AA82D34-AFED-449B-B25F-EB0F2A992EBB.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 097D30C7-8A0D-4802-AA9A-29F5E103EE5F.jpeg
    097D30C7-8A0D-4802-AA9A-29F5E103EE5F.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 46
  • B431A6B5-452B-4E2B-9297-0FE8AC7ED112.jpeg
    B431A6B5-452B-4E2B-9297-0FE8AC7ED112.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 33
I'm pretty sure you do NOT want self-cutting/threading screws. They tend to make bigger holes and strip more easily in our campers.

It looks like you have a RAM and I did something similar... I sold the truck and can't find a picture but I took the cable out of the tailgate, attached it to the bracket of the back to give me a longer cable. I then made a "bracket" out of a piece of 2x4 and cut it to the correct angle. I then routered out the backside of the 2x4 so tha OEM camera would fit in the back and drilled a hole for the camera eye. I had a platform on mine too (looks like you have one) and I painted it to match. You'd never really know it was there.

Vic Harder said:
I'm pretty sure you do NOT want self-cutting/threading screws. They tend to make bigger holes and strip more easily in our campers.
I have had great success with rivets on my camper (2 awnings, bike fork mounts, trash can mount, solar panel). I even replaced some of the stripped self tappers at the screen door hinge with rivets. On exterior applications, I like to use some 5200 no matter what hardware is used.

Super clean! Well done! I've been putting this project off for almost 2 years, I think you've inspired me to go for it.

Would there have been enough room for you to mount the camera above the door, below the roof? Im thinking If I can do that I'll be able to see over my spare tire and bike rack, and eliminate bending the wire to the camera. Thanks!

ramblinChet said:
Prior to departing for Overland Expo East I took a few minutes to complete detail work on my Rostra camera relocation housing that was recently installed. The cover did was not able to fully snap on perfectly and I suspected there was internal conflict so it was time to open it back up one final time to correct this minor issue.
gallery_11029_1446_82537.jpg

Note the round hole in the door of the camper with insulation inside that I previously believed was unnecessary since I was passing the LVDS cable out the side. It turns out the rear of the LVDS connection plug sticks out past the rear of the housing by 1-2mm. While this does not seem to be much it was enough to prevent the housing cover from properly being seated. By first drilling, then grinding this hole, there is no longer any conflict and the cover is fully seated.
gallery_11029_1446_130817.jpg

Here is a picture of the OEM camera that has been removed from the stock tailgate and installed into the cover of the Rostra housing. Again, I must admit that the housing was much nicer than I originally suspected it would be and the camera snaps into place perfectly.
gallery_11029_1446_164446.jpg
Where did you actually purchase the Rostra kit from? I can't seem to find a way to make a purchase on their website. Also did you end up using the self-tapping screws? Sounds like there may be some other ways to attach the loom clamps to the camper?

Wow so you can take the existing camera from the tailgate and reuse it? Not sure why I didn’t think of this. Does anyone have info for a ‘19 tundra kit?

i used the camera from our 21 Tundra and mounted it just above the license plate. works fine. will be moving it to a license plate holder though

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom