Desert

CPT Davenport

The wife and I have a few weeks off starting next Friday. We had originally planed to head up to our place in Humboldt and then continue north. As per usual this time of year, the weather will be wet. We are thinking this year to perhaps head south. We picked up our camper last spring and have camped every weekend or holiday since! These trips always lead us up north or to the inland mountains. We have yet to enjoy the desert with our new rig.

What would be the closest place for us to get a good desert vibe? We are in Davenport, just up the coast from Santa Cruz CA.

Thanks!

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Im not sure the exhibits are open in the winter.
I've been there 4 or 5 times and the exhibits have never been open. They don't need to be for it to be a nice destination and place to camp.

Speaking of CA's Red Rock SP (as opposed to NV's Red Rock SP, also a nice destination), has anyone stopped at Rocket Fizz a bit North of there? I've had the soft serve from Randsburg's General Store, worth the stop. I'd put it next to Mono-Cone.

Loving the options guys, thank you! While NV looks more remote and epic, I'm wondering about they snowy roads getting there. Red Rock Canyon is closer and may be the best choice this time of year? Only 5+ hours away seems like a good hit.

Train traffic over that section is pretty high, shouldn't have to wait very long for a train to come along.

I once, and only ever once, caught a train going each direction on the loop.

Getting stoked! Weather looks like it will be doable and only partly cloudy. Hope it clears up enough at night to see the treasures in the sky.

My buddy just recommended the Lone Pine area. Looks like it's just past Red Rock Canyon about 1 1/2. Looks like some good hiking and mountain biking.

That drive between Red Rock and Lone Pine is going to take you past a BUNCH of interesting stuff. And if you go just a little further up 395 you can include Manzanar.

Looks epic. It's settled, this is where we shall go! I have only been to the eastern side of the Sierras to ski Mammoth in the comfort of a condo and fished up there at Crowley 40 years ago! Can't wait to camp it and explore with no specific plan or schedule. Might even break down and indulge in the Keough hot springs. Looks like a chance of some fly fishing may be in the forecast as well.

Any recommendations on good campsites?

Welcome to the wonders of the Owens Valley. :)

There are faucets at the BLM's Tuttle Creek campground near the Alabama's, but they're usually turned off in the winter to keep them from freezing. The faucets in the various County Parks & campgrounds up and down the Valley may or may not be working. I would expect not this time of year, but I can't say that for sure.
Whenever we've needed water we tend to buy it from either Lone Pine Market in Lone Pine, High Country Market & Hardware in Big Pine, or Vons in Bishop. However, we keep the camper's fresh water tank just for cleaning. Cooking and drinking water comes from a 5 gallon water jug and it is this jug that we're usually needing to refill.

ntsqd said:
Welcome to the wonders of the Owens Valley. :)

There are faucets at the BLM's Tuttle Creek campground near the Alabama's, but they're usually turned off in the winter to keep them from freezing. The faucets in the various County Parks & campgrounds up and down the Valley may or may not be working. I would expect not this time of year, but I can't say that for sure.
Whenever we've needed water we tend to buy it from either Lone Pine Market in Lone Pine, High Country Market & Hardware in Big Pine, or Vons in Bishop. However, we keep the camper's fresh water tank just for cleaning. Cooking and drinking water comes from a 5 gallon water jug and it is this jug that we're usually needing to refill.
Got it! Thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom