Digital GPS Guide for Camping in Canada on Trip to/From Alaska

ckent323

We will be driving to Anchorage departing Central California in Mid August and departing Anchorage for return about September 25. We plan to travel via the Stewart- Cassair Highway one direction and the Alaska Highway route through Jasper and Banff the other direction. I am figuring 12 or so days of travel each direction to allow for reasonable driving distance each day and time to sight see a bit.

We will be driving our 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Diesel with our 2007 FWC Keystone as well as towing a 7x16 foot Wells Cargo trailer containing two railroad motorcars (track inspection speeders) that we will be operating on a tour of the entire Alaska railroad between September 8 and September 24. A couple in a second 1993 Dodge Ram W@50 Diesel with a 1984 Keystone will be accompanying us

I lived in Anchorage in 1989 and flew in and out of Fairbanks to my work location in the Aleutians so am familiar with Alaska but I have never made the drive on the Alcan - I always flew from/to Santa Barbara, CA.

We plan to camp in our FWC camper most of the time going both ways and I would like to take a tablet or ipad equipped with GPS and use a map app/software that does not require internet or cellular connection (it is my understanding that there is little cell coverage along the Canadian highways) to help me find camping locations (campgrouds, free camp sites, etc).

The idea is to use the tablet/ipad app with GPS to locate nearby campgrounds, stores, gas and sites to visit rather than having to look everything up in the massive Milepost book.

I have read reviews of the Milepost digital app and they give it poor marks because it requires a cell or wifi connection. DOH!

Anyone have any recommendations for tablet/ipad based map or travel guides that use GPS to identify nearby camping sites and etc - particularly from first hand experience?

P.S. I will be taking a hard copy of the Milepost and probably a map book/gazetteer that covers the routes. Of course I will be carefully prepping the truck and trailer and having both checked by my mechanic before departure. In addition, I will be bringing spare tires and plenty of spare parts and tools (I am quite adept at field repairs).

Craig

We use a new Samsung eight inch android tablet with micro SD card expandable memory. Using Backcountry Navigator Pro, prior to a trip I download what is needed. Large micro SD cards work well for lots of files. Prior to expandable memory I had to constantly delete files to download new areas. I expect I'll have a collection of little cards covering our needs sometime in the future covering all of the west. Thus far it works well for us. We've had it for approximately six months now. We use simple cell phones only for emergency and do not have any data plans.

I use my Microsoft Surface Pro 3, and an older copy of Microsoft Streets and Trips. No campground data in there, but I plan all that out ahead of time at home. Map the route, and create an Excel spreadsheet with all the details.

I use Garmin Basecamp free software on my Surface. That is used with map software I've purchased and the Ultimate Public Campground software. I had to jerry-rig using the UPC and not all features came into Basecamp. This does not have GPS capabilities. I need to use my GPS device to locate myself.

This is my ultimate vacation planning tool. Any time I hear about anything interesting I put a note on my map about it. And I've downloaded point files such as Forgotten Nevada's point fine and Oregon's state watchable wildlife point file. Some geology maps will pop into the map. What I like is everything is off line. The negative is that it took a fair amount of time to learn all the Basecamp features and I'm relying on free software that could be abandoned in the future.

ski3pin, Vic and searching,

Thank you for your responses. They are all helpful!

I will do some research on each of the suggestions you provided to converge on the best solution for my needs.

Hopefully some other folks will also post comments.

Craig

One important note. A WiFi IPad uses cell towers for its GPS! So make sure you get a 4G IPad because that has a true GPS chip. You don’t need a data plan just the correct IPad. Learned that lesson on my last big trip when I lost my location in the middle of nowhere!!!

Scott81621 said:
One important note. A WiFi IPad uses cell towers for its GPS! So make sure you get a 4G IPad because that has a true GPS chip. You don’t need a data plan just the correct IPad. Learned that lesson on my last big trip when I lost my location in the middle of nowhere!!!
Learned on my wife's iPad that there was no GPS in the unit. Bought a Dual Bluetooth GPS unit that allowed using maps that could be used for expected water depth when fishing in conjunction with the boats depth finder.

Paul

Microsoft Surface devices don't have built in GPS either. This can be a plus, as you can mount the antenna where you want.

Yes, my research has given me a basic understanding of GPS devices that can work without WiFi and cellular connection. One can buy tablets and such that have WiFi and then put them in airplane mode, buy devices that have GPS but no WiFi/cellular and there are add on GPS receivers (plug-in and bluetooth) to agument devices that do not have built in GPS.

Since there is little WiFi and cell service between the US and Anchorage via the routes I will be travelling I am interested in what combination of device and software works best.

I am leaning towards tablet type devices because of the screen size and because I can use a tablet for other functions. My wife will be the navigator and she is Windows as well as Android literate. I will have an Arkon type mount holding the tablet that she can move in front of her for ease of use (or push out of the way) and do real time navigating.

I am looking for software that leverages real time GPS data to pull up nearby options like campgrounds, fueling stations, markets, places to see, etc

Samsung Galaxy and Google Nexus tablets seem to come up often in my searches so far.

Craig,
Consider a Garmin InReach Explorer for several reasons. It uses Iridium satellite for data.
1. You are going to be away from cell service and Internet service for extended time and distance.
2. It is a good handheld GPS.
3. It is an emergency locator that can summon help essentially anywhere you travel.
4. It is a two way text communicator to keep in touch with family and friends and communicating with emergency responders.
5. It pairs with your cellphone and tablet to give them GPS services
6. Paired with cellphone or tablet allows using the editing and keyboarding with a display large enough for older eyes to easily see.
7. It allows retrieving detailed weather data for your location for several days ahead. Good for planning.
8. You can download map data for large areas for use offline. The maps are topographic style.
9. It does NOT have campground info but if you have other apps that maintain such data offline, you will have GPS location & if you have email or text addresses, you may be able to contact them
10. There is a monthly/annual subscription cost but we have found it cost effective for our needs.
11. It can drop breadcrumbs for those you enable to know where you are from a web browser.
Paul

I believe our Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8" has an real GPS antenna onboard. It works far far far from any cell towers. If it did not, we wouldn't have bought it.

Back
Top Bottom