Does your floor squeak?

Radicalfil

Advanced Member
I am wondering if the squeaking in the floor is normal or maybe I should drive up to Woodland to have it inspected. Unit is mounted on the bed of the Ford, but as I walk through the cabin I hear a distinctive squeak in the floor as I walk through it. Sound just like my 90 year old house's floor.

Phil

Mine does not squeak either. Do you mean the camper is direct bolted to the truck bed not using turn buckles?

[A]s I walk through the cabin I hear a distinctive squeak in the floor as I walk through it. Sound just like my 90 year old house's floor.
Dear Phil,

I think if we can isolate the problem to the only common factor between your house and your camper... so, go ahead and check your shoes. :thumb:

Logic is so fun!

No squeaking here.

Without being there and listening that noise could be comming from different places. Noises are sometimes carried and transferd to a different location than where it started.

See if the camper is flat to the bed. Anything between the bed and the camper. Does the camper ride hard to one side of the wheel hump and is riding up and down when you walk by. This list could go on and on. Good luck finding the squeak and maybe another set of ears could help track it down

Not that kind of squeaking, i.e. shoes on linolium, but wood rubbing. Sounds like a loose floor plank or the bottom of camper's floor flexing and rubbing on something like the truck bed.

Ours had a small squeak after about 4 or 5 months, it was the floor plywood rubbing against the truck bed. I had some 50 mil vinyl around and cut a piece to fit under the camper, no more squeaking or rubbing.

The floor plywood rubbing against the truck bed would be my first guess as to the culprit. I am going to call factory guy and quiz him about this and make sure there is nothing seriously wrong.

Good idea to check in with them but I'd say it's just the camper and truck bed getting to know each other. Let us know what they say when you do.

Anything between the metal of the bed and the camper?

I've had my Hawk in two trucks without any squeaking. The first truck had a rubber mat (about $35 from K-Mart) between the bed and the camper.

The second (and current) truck has a spray in bed liner, much like a rubber mat.

I have noticed with both set ups that, after checking/re-tightening the turnbuckles after 200 miles, and again after 400-500 miles, the turn buckles don't loosen. Perhaps the slight elasticity of the rubber mat or spray-in liner, combined with re-tightening the turnbuckles after a little settling helps. In my mind it's like a large surface area vibration absorber with sufficient pre-load.

I may end up lifting the camper up and slipping my rubber mat under it to eliminate some of the rubbing. I'll talk to the mfg on Monday and see what they say.

thanks y'all for your input.

My floor squeaks. I have a 06 Granby in a 05 long bed Dodge. The bed has a Line-X spray in liner. Let us know what you find out, thanks.

Cheers,

Mike

Some more for ya.....

You can jack up and shift the camper around on the bed. If you have lots of time you can remove the camper and look for rub marks on the camper bottom, sides or the truck bed.

At least if you don’t find rub marks it could be the camper it self. While the camper is off you can inspect the bottom for loose runners or screws that might have backed out.

I have heard that noise sometimes too.

Really should be no big deal / nothing to worry about.

We had a new 2009 Grandby Model on our 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 at the Portland show for 5 days last week, and had people getting in and out all day, and I could hear squeaking.

I would try the rubber bed mat first.

I have a feeling if you bring the camper up to Woodland and have the shop look at it, they will tell you the same thing.

If I thought there was a problem or a magic fix, I would let you know. But not much goes wrong with the camper floor (solid design for strength).

Feel free to call Chicali in the shop on Monday. Maybe he knows of something I don't ?

FWC Service = (800) 242-1442

Maybe what you need is a bumper sticker that reads "When this trucks a squeakin, don't come a peekin!"

Maybe what you need is a bumper sticker that reads "When this trucks a squeakin, don't come a peekin!"

Now that's funny:D I have a rubber floor mat & no squeeks from my '87

Back
Top Bottom