Eagle shell weight on 2nd Gen Tacoma Report

RC Pilot Jim

This past week we were at the Saline Valley hot springs. In Big Pine (Ca) had the opportunity to weigh the Tacoma loaded (15 gallons water, food, Beer, clothes, Bike, model airplane, firewood, chairs, etc) for the week = 5,960 pounds with full fuel tank no driver. Add one person = 6,190 pounds.

Averaged 16.6 mpg at 65 mph. uphill (North San Diego to Big Pine 358 miles).

The camper dry weighs 1,000 pounds. Truck plus camper plus driver dry = 5430 pounds

2013 Tacoma: Access cab, V6, 4WD, Trailer towing pkg (3.70 rear axle ratio). Tires: Hancook - All Terain LT265/75R16. GVWR: 5500 pounds

2012 Eagle is permanently mounted.

Truck had plenty of power and sits level so the custom spring upgrade (4 leaves rated at 1500 pounds) were more than up to the job. Braking was no issue either as I leave plenty of distance between vehicles and downshift the auto transmission to assist the brakes in slowing it down.

As I have said in my "2012 Amateur Shell Buildout", we only camp about 30 days per year and the hot springs trip (twice per year) is the big one because we have to pack everything in. Even with all that weight the truck still feels nimble both on and off the road.

I assume if this was the regular model the "all-up-weight" would be over 6500 pounds !!

Opinion
This trip I travelled with a friend. He has a 2005 Kestral (Hawk) on a 2013 Chev Silverado 1500. His full weight - 8,000 pounds plus one human = 8200 pounds. Very heavy for a half ton. He had two flat tires running P245/70R17.

If you are on the fence as to which truck to purchase for a small family I would advise considering a full-size 3/4 ton truck with either a Hawk or Grandby.

am i doing the math right? 6190 loaded with driver - 5430 dry with driver = 760 lbs of wet weight and gear?

i'm about to order a hawk shell, and i think by the time i have the stuff i need in it it'll weigh about 1100. i have a legitimate 1800 lb payload in my 1500 (got the 6.2l that comes with the max tow and upgraded rear end for a gvw of 7200). with my wife and 3yo, i have about 400 lbs of passenger, so only room for about 300lbs of gear...

i'd have to hit 2600lbs of gear and camper to hit 8000 with no passengers, he must have had it packed solid.

i would trade up to a 2500 if i could afford the diesel, but having just got this 2013 the trade/loss would kill me to upgrade. i hardly find the upgrade worth it to go to a new gasser, as i have more power and torque and mpg than the 6 liter 2014 2500's already.

With a 1800 lb payload and a FWC shell your in much better shape than most. In an overloaded condition the first point of failure is usually the tires. I would definitely go with load range E tires and see how it handles. You can deal with rear suspension upgrades later if necessary.

To reinterate, beware of your tires:

it would be on the list.

one thing people have to be careful of that i don't see mentioned, is that just because it's 2500 or f250, don't assume the payload is astronomical... i've seen dodge 2500's specifically that have maybe 500lbs more payload than me, and some other 3/4s that have 1500 lbs more than me.

heck, there's a max payload option for the f150 that's like 2,300 lbs and comes with a weird 7 lug axle... also, a lot of people read the "max payload" for a generic line of truck, and not realize it's not for the exact configuration of their truck, which can vary greatly...mfg always advertize the configuration with the biggest number.

read the yellow sticker to know. still curious about the 8000 lb half ton.

Bronco
This was my buddy" first trip in the back country on washboard roads. He was carrying about 3 times more stuff than needed. His tires were not up to the task. Now he has a set of BF Goodrivch all-terrains. LT 24570R17 load range E and is vowing to take less stuff next trip

Bronco,
I forgot to ask you to weigh your rig after your done customizing it and update all of us.

First weigh truck empty, tailgate removed or guess its weight, then add camper weigh dry and then weigh loaded. Process costs about $10. - $20. If weight isn't certified.

Back
Top Bottom