EBBETTS PASS, Labor Day 2015

GroovyDad

I took a short 3 day/2 night camp trip to the Ebbetts Pass area of the Sierra Nevada over Labor Day.

Here's a link to the Trip Report:

Ebbetts Pass - Labor Day 2015

DSC_0336.JPG

I incorrectly identified Hiram Peak as Iceberg Peak in my blog. I've since corrected it and I just wanted to put that out there.

Nice weekend trip. Thanks for posting. Our options in Indiana aren't very good. When we go to the State Parks they are packed in and all it takes is one to spoil the weekend. Trying to talk my wife into boondocking but she is more comfortable with numbers, so maybe small off the beat sites with a few campers will meet her approval. jd

I started reading about the crowds and rowdies and the Ebbetts Pass title and said, "You should have gone into Highland Lakes." And then you did! That was a good save for a busy Labor Day Weekend. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Very nice report. Love the area back by Utica Union. Have been camping there since 1965. Dispersed camping areas are going away in that area as the NFS adds pay to camp areas. I have not camped at Highland and it is on my list for this year. Had planned to be there on Labor Day. BUT got a call the week before saying water was coming out the front door of a rental I own :( Still dealing with clean up and contractors. Looks like October for Highlands as long as the snow does not fall.

Thanks GroovyDad.
In spite of the crowds you had a great time.
Next time try Mosquito lake as soon the crowds are gone.
Also Union and Utica are nice spots,and if you go during the week,(if you can) there usually isn't anyone there.
We have had the west end camp at Union all to our selves many times.
If you have some sort of water craft they are nice lakes to be on.
Haven't been there yet this year but hope to get there in a couple weeks.
At Highland Lk.the first lake you come to has golden trout at least it did some years back.That lake feeds the Mokelumhe River and the west lake feeds Highland creek,into Spicer Lk.
It's been a couple years since we have been to Highland Lks.A favorite place.
Spicer Lk looks so bad I have not seen it that low in the 30 years since they made the new dam.
Could you see the old dam?
Thanks for the great ride along.
Go back when it's not a holiday.
Frank

Looks like a nice trip once you found the way out of the crowds! Dexter looks so much like my long departed Yellow Lab (Sagebrush).

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thanks GroovyDad.
In spite of the crowds you had a great time.
Next time try Mosquito lake as soon the crowds will be gone.
Also Union and Utica are nice spots,and is you go during the week,(if you can) there usually isn't anyone there.
We have had the west end camp at Union all to our selves many times.
If you have some sort of water craft they are nice lakes to be on.
Haven't been there yet this year but hope to get there in a couple weeks.
At Highland Lk.the first lake you come to has golden trout at least it did some years back.That lake feeds the Mokelumhe River and the west lake feeds Highland creek,into Spicer Lk.
It's been a couple years since we have been to Highland Lks.A favorite place.
Spicer Lk looks so bad I have not seen it that low in the 30 years since they made the new dam.
Could you see the old dam?
Thanks for the great ride along.
Go back when it's not a holiday.
Frank
No, I didn't even know there was an old dam.

The current dam was started about 85/86.
I had been there in 85 when they were working on the prep for the new dam.
Also paved the road sometime after the dam was finished.
I think that old machinery is from building the original dam.
It's a great place.
Hope you get to go back especially in the fall.
Frank

Thanks for the posting. Excellent photos. My wife and I have camped up in that area for many years. We have a cabin in Arnold along Highway 4. Usually there is no one there when we go on weekdays. I was up there in May this year (muddy road) and was alone.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom