edgestar deal!

My link

Just bought the 63 for $345- free shipping

Looks like a great deal. I checked my Summer 2010 issue of Overland Journal that had a 12 volt fridge comparison, the Edgestar looks identical to the Whynter FM 45G that they tested in the article.

Nice price on that 63! We have the 43 quart, like it a lot, kinda wish we had the 63, didn't have room for it at the time. Before we had our camper we had the fridge in the back seat and plugged it into the truck's 12v plug. A few times it acted like it was loosing power and shut off, couldn't get it to restart, thought it was a gonner. Wondered if it was the low-voltage cut off kicking in when the alternator couldn't keep up with demand. Around that time we also noticed some cracking of the plastic plug on fridge side of the 12v cord (it is kind of easy to step on in close quarters.) The cord didn't like to stay in the truck's 12v socket either; some research confirmed that these cords are a problem spot.

Replaced the factory cord with a home made cord and has been great ever since. The Edgestar really added to the quality of food we can eat on the road and holds more than I would have thought. Love that we can leave the fridge in the camper and load up the baskets when we're ready, even a day or two before we leave. Just take the baskets back in when we return. No lugging the fridge around and it pretty much lives in the camper until winter. Used it indoors nonstop since last fall and has been running like a champ. Our next step is to add some insulation around the outside of the fridge for hot weather use, but not sure it needs it that much. Hope yours works out great.

How long will the Edgestar run on a charged 12v battery. Do you guys have solar setups to keep the battery charged when your not running your engines? What amp solar panels will keep up with the Edgestar's draw?

Looks like a great deal. I checked my Summer 2010 issue of Overland Journal that had a 12 volt fridge comparison, the Edgestar looks identical to the Whynter FM 45G that they tested in the article.

What were the results of the test, Blair? Are you positive it's the same fridge?

How long will the Edgestar run on a charged 12v battery. Do you guys have solar setups to keep the battery charged when your not running your engines? What amp solar panels will keep up with the Edgestar's draw?

Our edgestar 43 runs pretty much indefinitely on 2 100AH interstate AGMs and our 120W SolarCynergy panel during the sunnier / longer daylight months up north. Pre-camper we would run it off truck power while travelling and off a portable 600amp / 22ah battery jump-starter overnight. Not ideal but worked out well enough until we got the camper.

Our edgestar 43 runs pretty much indefinitely on 2 100AH interstate AGMs and our 120W SolarCynergy panel during the sunnier / longer daylight months up north. Pre-camper we would run it off truck power while travelling and off a portable 600amp / 22ah battery jump-starter overnight. Not ideal but worked out well enough until we got the camper.

Thanks for the info, HIKEMT. So without solar and on one 100AH AGM house battery you might keep the Edgestar going over night, 24 hours, more? What would be your guess?

Thanks for the info, HIKEMT. So without solar and on one 100AH AGM house battery you might keep the Edgestar going over night, 24 hours, more? What would be your guess?

Shooting from the hip a tad since I don't have an edgestar I'd bet on average you'd pull .7-1ah as a continuous number. Ideally only draw 30ah off your battery of that size really best not to pull more than 50ah.

I'm basing the ah number off my ARB which seemed to pull about 100ah after running 6days straight off my battery bank based on voltage to gauge battery charge. I've got an amp meter now which I can actually determine how many amps it truly pulls but it's winter out so not really a good test since the temperature differential is low. I've heard the ARBs tend to pull a little less than the edgestars so that is where my .7-1ah guess came from.

Thanks for the hip shot, pods! So we are looking at a day or two. Maybe a second battery would be helpful.

You must have quite a few batteries in that bank of yours.

So without solar and on one 100AH AGM house battery you might keep the Edgestar going over night, 24 hours, more? What would be your guess?

I think when I was estimating our power needs I assumed a 25% duty cycle on the manufacturer claim of 5.4A, so about 1.35A continuous. I'm a pure novice at this and I don't have a good amp meter like Pods, but I don't think the fridge draws as much as I expected. (We haven't run it as a freezer other than to try it out.) Power draw probably has a lot to do with how much stuff you have in it, how much you open the lid, and outside temps but I have been pleasantly surprised and happy with ours for the most part.

One thing I haven't resolved yet is the best way to mount this fridge in the camper. (Ours sits out and gets used as a seat - works great). I think you want it to be a quick release but hopefully strong enough to keep it in place in a moderate fender bender, definitely on dry washes and washboard roads cause it likes to migrate around a bit. Also I didn't want to pay as much for the mount kit as I did for the reefer (*cough* Engel). A drawback is Edgestar doesn't make mount setups like ARB and Engel and also the metal housing and maybe the handles don't look as rugged as its pricier competitors.

I bought d-rings to screw into the floor and cam straps to cinch to the handles but haven't been able to commit to this method yet. I've been looking at this kit a lot and may use it instead. "KIS"

http://www.austinkay...e-Down-Kit.html

Stew, I have (2) 210ah 6V batteries. I drew them about halfway on the test. Normally try to stay higher.

Hikemt, my guess was from a voltage based test prior to the amp meter so not super concrete. I'll have better numbers now but its not very warm so the duty cycle isn't very accurate for typical summer use. Contents and how often its is open will surely play in.

Glad to see folks are weighing in the topic...

I'm very interested in knowing how long my battery can/will last, this is all rather new to me but so any insight is appreciated. Just picked up a new battery for the camper i believe its the Interstate SRM27 to see the specs check out the link. I have just enough room for a SRM24 as a second battery, but i'm not sure if i'll need it, but i probably do! We tend to drive and camp for the night, occasionally spending 2-3 nights max in one spot, we work 4/10's and so our typical trips are 3 days 2 nights.

My link

I've also been playing around with a system to secure the cooler, i'm pretty convinced a few ratchet straps and anchors will get the job done. My biggest goal is to mount the anchors to the sides and not impede the floor. I located it in the front of the camper (under the window) it fits near perfect between the cabinets and side which is 30", the goal is to use it as a seat and part of the dog bed! I have the camper in a barn for the winter and temps have been around 10-15 degrees, and the last time i was up working on it the batteries in my camera went dead. but all in all i hope it's a great addition, i was really hating the lack of storage and removing the 3 way fridge has created some opportunities.

As for accessories the Edgestar protective bag is close to $150, is it worth it? I really think i can craft something that protect and insulate for far cheaper.

When I was trying to make ice (from somewhat warm water) I ran out of voltage to power the freezer (this was pre solar) but still had plenty of juice to start the truck. Thats with three batteries over five days. Curious to see if I can do it now. My goal was to make enough ice fast enough to replace what I lost in a decent ice chest stored outside in the summer. Probably didn't help that I had the freezer set as low as it would go.

Freelheeler, don't mix and match batteries unless you isolate them. If they are in a combined bank they should be the same type and age.

What were the results of the test, Blair? Are you positive it's the same fridge?

The test results were fairly good. For a fridge that is selling for $350 dollars I would say it's a great buy. I'm pretty sure it's the same fridge. It looks identical just the emblem or name plate on the fridge is different. It was compared to the ARB, Engel and National Luna. They said the build quality wasn't as good as the others in test and that it did use more power. It actually was the best in one of the tests. Of all four fridges it reached the lowest temperature in 45 minutes. It tied the ARB fridge in the insulation test. Remember that in the test they had the fridge listed as a $650 dollar fridge being compared to $800 and $1500 fridges. At $350 I think it's a screaming deal.

Just checked the link looks like they're all gone. Price says $399 now I thought they were $349. Oh well you snooze you lose.

Freelheeler, don't mix and match batteries unless you isolate them. If they are in a combined bank they should be the same type and age.

Shall we dig deeper...?

So to explain my setup a bit more, the house battery SRM 27 (camper)is isolated from the starting battery (truck) using a solenoid, both charge from the truck. The goal being that driving a few hours per day charges the system and we're good for a night or 2. If i were to add a third battery (SRM24) to the system it would be to the camper. I was originally running only a SRM24 but it failed late last summer and Interstate honored the warranty so i paid the extra and bought a bigger battery. This also forced me to redesign my battery storage area to accommodate the larger size plus allow room for an additional SRM24 if i need it.

I attached the chart to get some help understanding and calculating, so let assume the freezer draws 1.5A continuously, the question= how long will it run? If i understand the chart the manufacture claims the SRM27 will sustain for 18.4 hours at 5A continuous draw which = 92 total useable amps, so at 1.5A continuous draw i should have approximately 61 hours of run time= 2.5 days?

PODS8, if i understand things correctly and i want to extend my run time i have a few options; one being to connect the house battery's in series (direct) which will require a second SRM27 ideally of the same age, or two use a solenoid to isolate the house battery's (SRM27 from SRM24). This in theory would give me an additional 86amps and a run time of 57 hours or just over 2 days. For a total of 4.5 days of continuous use.

I can see where this could becomes a real mind twister, add in lights, heater, etc. compounded by time of year, hours of day light, cold weather, warm weather and you end up with a real world guesstimate!

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 112
The test results were fairly good. For a fridge that is selling for $350 dollars I would say it's a great buy. I'm pretty sure it's the same fridge. It looks identical just the emblem or name plate on the fridge is different. It was compared to the ARB, Engel and National Luna. They said the build quality wasn't as good as the others in test and that it did use more power. It actually was the best in one of the tests. Of all four fridges it reached the lowest temperature in 45 minutes. It tied the ARB fridge in the insulation test. Remember that in the test they had the fridge listed as a $650 dollar fridge being compared to $800 and $1500 fridges. At $350 I think it's a screaming deal.

Just checked the link looks like they're all gone. Price says $399 now I thought they were $349. Oh well you snooze you lose.

yep $345, they only lasted a few hours, i got lucky (it doesn't usually happen)!

PODS8, if i understand things correctly and i want to extend my run time i have a few options; one being to connect the house battery's in series (direct) which will require a second SRM27 ideally of the same age, or two use a solenoid to isolate the house battery's (SRM27 from SRM24).

"Series" is a descriptor for a type of circuit which is NOT what you want, I think you weren't using the term in that manner though. You want 12V batteries in "parallel" if you want the circuit to remain 12V. If you get the same type of battery then you can wire it up parallel w/o really any major considerations. If they are different sizes you need it so they don't see each other otherwise it can cause issues in which the larger battery will only charge up the level of the smaller battery which will kill it off. I've never bothered to ponder out all the ways to accomplish that because I wouldn't be interested in mixing/matching batteries.

Look at the "RC", reserve capacity, column and divide that number by 2 to get a ballpark amp hour rating of the battery. Your current battery appears to have 80ah. General rule of thumb for long battery life is try to only pull down 30% regularly, and really try to not pull off more than 50%. So you appear to have 24-40ah currently to work with reasonably. I'd be looking at a second battery and/or solar if you want to run a 12V fridge and sit in one spot for any extended period of time.

I can see where this could becomes a real mind twister, add in lights, heater, etc. compounded by time of year, hours of day light, cold weather, warm weather and you end up with a real world guesstimate!

When I was trying to decide what batteries I'd need I think I used something like this charthttp://www.wanderthe...php?/topic/828/ to work out my approximate power needs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom