El Grand Rojo is going to Panama

smileyd

Advanced Member
My husband and I purchased our used 4wc for only $1500. It is old and needs to be fixed up. We are driving El Grande Rojo to Panama the beginning of May. For my husbands 30th birthday.

I will show you pictures of my custom decorating job on the camper hopefully tomarrow. I'll give you a hint. it has sea shells, paintings, really cool drapes and upholstery and I just started decorating. I did 99% of it so far, chicks rock. I noticed many campers listed are so standard. I understand that nature is so beautiful on its own, but don't be scared to dress your camper up.

Do any of you traveling masters have any advice for us rookies. Or any questions about our trip??? I would love to hear from you

Pura Vida (Pure Life)
Angelina

I'd love to hear about yout trip! How long do you plan on being on the road?

Decorating the camper with empty beer cans doesn't count? :confused:

Haha
No empty cans yet. haha

We plan on going for 6 months to a year. Whenever the money we saved runs out. We would like to move to Costa Rica and will probably rent a small house around 4 months into the trip for about $300 a mth. We are also going to try to get some work down there to extend our trip or our move.

We are bringing our dog, Ivy. A cocker spaniel mix, she thinks she's a golden retriever. Just put new brakes in El Grande Rojo and next weekend we are going to hopefully rebuilt the transmission. The 4wc is on a 1992 Ford f250 truck. Can't wait to show you pictures. Husband took our rig to work.

Now that sounds like a great trip! I want to know ALL about it. Ive heard nothing but good things about Costa Rica and I know several people who have moved there. What is your planned route?
I have driven as far south as Playa Azul Mex. but it's been many years.

Wow is that the trip of a lifetime or what. I told my wife (she was raised in Panama) about it and she said when do we leave. Good luck and take your lap top so you can send us all pix from the road.
Jay

Hi,

A preview of what our camper is going to look like.

My husband and I havent ironed out the details of our trip yet. We do know we are going from San Diego through Baja taking a ferry to ensenada. We are going up to Sinaloa and back down. After that, we are heading south along the pacific coast. Before the border we will cut across the county to visit aztec pyramids on the carribean side.

Not for sure yet but down through Belize......2nd largest barrier reef in the world. We plan to go through Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Panama

Sorry about the pics not very much room to take them. I just started painting, it will look good when I'm done. I also had to keep it popped down so you couldnt see the detachable curtains I made. As I said my camper is a work in progress. Needs alot of work yet. I have until May to finish it. That is when we are leaving.

I will of course send pics again before we leave.

Attachments

• IMG_0008-1-1.jpg
    IMG_0008-1-1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_0012-1.jpg
    IMG_0012-1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_0013-1.jpg
    IMG_0013-1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_0016-1.jpg
    IMG_0016-1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_0020-2.jpg
    IMG_0020-2.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 380
San Diego through Baja taking a ferry to ensenada

??? Lo Siento, No hay un ferry a Ensenada amiga. Donde Vas??

Smiled,
How is your camper attached to your truck. It looks like it is bolted through the floor. You may need to brace the inside corners of the floor pack. the older ones were not glued like the newer ones are. simply screw 1 by 1 strips to the floor in the corner then screw to the side threw the same piece of wood. this will get you more time with your camper.
Marty

Marty,

The camper is currently hooked into the sides of the truck bed with turn buckles. Do I still need to screw the camper floor down??? If so, can you tell me step by step how to do this. I am not very good with thist stuff and will need my husbands help on this one. Please in detail. I could show you pics tonight if I need to.

Si, vamos tomar un ferry de La Paz a Mazatlan.
Yes, we are going to take a ferry from La Paz to Mazatlan.

Jay,

also another cool sight for traveling south. Click on the mexico map alot and you will see the great detail this site offers on campgrounds, routes...... I am on this site religously.

http://www.ontheroadin.com

Actually the ferry goes from La Paz to either Topolobampo (Los Mochis) or Mazatlan. The Topolobampo trip is an 18+ hour sail and the time to Mazatlan is 10+ hours. And trust me it is an experience. You might want to leave from Santa Rosalia and sail to Guaymas. Its about 7 hours but you wil be landing further north than the other two. The times I went (5 & 10 years ago) we arrived at the ferry terminal at least a day early but there is a web site - http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/mexicoferryw.html - that can give you more recent info.
Jay

thanks. We will probably go that way. I corrected my previous post so people don't get confused. Of course I meant Mazatlan. hahaha

So Jay tell me about your drive to Mainland Mexico??
Out of site out of mind??? Pay offs????

Several years ago we drove from Oxnard to Puerto Vallarta. We returned via the ferry from Mazatlan to La Paz and up Baja. There is way to much to tell. Our trip was absolutely fabulous. We met great people and had no incidents at all. We particularly enjoyed Alamos near Navajoa. That was some time ago and times do change but we would do it again. We never drove at night. I think that is a good rule to follow for a number of reasons. Animals and banditos do travel on the roads at night and we were never in that big of a hurry.
Jay

The last time I went way far south we took the ferry from Cabo to Pto Vallarta; but I guess that one no longer runs. Too bad; we had a blast. :D
I have not been further south then Cabo in a LONG time.

If you have turnbuckels then you are safe im sure. The turnbuckels are connected to the step part of the floorpack and it is much stronger there. If someone did this themselves then maby the floor might be loose. Do you notice a small grove or gap in the corners of the floor. These will be on the side going front to back under the cabinet aginst the floor and under the couch. Do not worrie this it an easy fix. So if you notice these gaps we will go from there. Marty

year of

Marty here agin.
The best I can figure from your photos your camper is 1982 to 1983 model. The serial numbers never included the year model back then but you can probably find it behind the carpet under the upper mattress on the driver side of the overhead bed frame channel written in black marker. the serial number was written there on thousands of these campers.

Back
Top Bottom