el nino coming

joez3

Advanced Member
I know its kind of early to post this, but I am planning on going down to Death Valley at the end of Dec. Since this is a el nino year how bad do you think the rains will be in the Death Valley area. Do you think going east would get me away from the rains? I was thinking of going to Zion do you think that would be drier?

Just watch the weather coming into the west coast. Its winter and El Nino all anyone knows is that the intensity of the storms can be much greater. Warm ocean ='s more energy spun up into the storms. For ideas you can research areas and how they were impacted January 1997 when the west coast was nearly washed into the Pacific on new years day 1997. That might shed light on areas that could have issues.

What will El Nino bring? Who knows. Usually the end of December is a good time to visit. Expect very cold overnight temperatures and short days. Check out the morning report for updates -

DVNP Morning Report

It is a huge area and conditions vary quite a bit across the region. Most of the heavy rainfall that causes flash floods and lead to the damage the Park is currently dealing with, come during thunderstorm events.

I would think going further east would take you more into rain and snow. Look at what the dip in the jet stream is now doing to the inter mountain west. Death Valley is one of the driest places on earth.

My main concern with El Nino will be what happens between here and DVNP.

Joe,

I'd head to DVNP, and then head elsewhere if the weather turns bad. Zion and area is going to be a lot colder, and as Mr. 3pin mentioned, you could get into snow conditions further east. Consider places like Anza Borrego, Valley of Fire, Mojave Preserve as potential alternatives, too. You could hit some of the parks in south Arizona as well.

Some of my most enjoyable times in D.V. have been when the weather turns "bad." Wading at Badwater, almost snowed in at the Chloride Cliffs and again in Hanging Rock Canyon, watching the flood waters devour half of the Texas Springs Campground. Nothing has given me a better appreciation of how the desert canyons and alluvial plains took their present form than by watching them flood!

But caution, an eye to the weather, and a perch on high ground are of paramount importance. (not to mention a flexible schedule.)

Since every thread needs pictures, here's one taken on the Death Valley Road near Eureka Valley in 2004.

gallery_5833_951_646839.jpg

Back
Top Bottom