Electrical issues after furnace removal

Hi all,

I decided to permanently remove the furnace from my 04 Granby. I disconnected and capped the propane line and cut the two wires connected to the unit. I was pleased with my newfound storage space until I realized that most of the electricity in the camper no longer worked (no power to pump, carbon monoxide detector, battery and h2o monitor, 12v port...who knows what else. The curious thing is that my overhead lights still work.

I'm not using shore power. Everything worked great before I pulled the furnace. No fuses are blown.

I'm wondering if I may have opened a circuit by cutting the wires. Any thoughts?

Swampy,

Did you use a meter to verify the fuses?

Any chance you cut the wires at the same time? If so, there’s a chance you blew a fuse or popped a circuit breaker. I’d try recycling the CBs, and using an ohm meter on the fuses if that wasn’t done. Is there an in-line battery fuse & could the lights be directly wired to the battery?

Next step would be to look at the back of the bus to see if a lead pulled off.

Hope that helps.

Swamp Creature said:
Hi all,

I decided to permanently remove the furnace from my 04 Granby. I disconnected and capped the propane line and cut the two wires connected to the unit. I was pleased with my newfound storage space until I realized that most of the electricity in the camper no longer worked (no power to pump, carbon monoxide detector, battery and h2o monitor, 12v port...who knows what else. The curious thing is that my overhead lights still work.

I'm not using shore power. Everything worked great before I pulled the furnace. No fuses are blown.

I'm wondering if I may have opened a circuit by cutting the wires. Any thoughts?
Chances are excellent that you opened a circuit. Either the 12V+ line or the ground. If you don't have access to a multimeter, try using a length of wire to add a ground (any screw going into the alum framing) to one of the circuits that's dead. If that doesn't work, try adding power from the overhead lights to one of the dead circuits.

I didn't cut the wires at the same time. tried cycling the circuit breakers. One of the two wires i cut does have an inline fuse, which is still attached to the furnace. Vic, are you suggesting splicing a length of wire to one of the wires I cut to ground it? I'm liking your theory that I opened the 12v+ line (one of the wires I cut was red), if so, what do I reconnect it to? I haven't used my meter to verify fuses.

Problem solved! I tried grounding one of the wires I cut and everything works again. Thanks so much for the support!

Back
Top Bottom