Electrical problem

SailorRocco

Advanced Member
Hi everyone! I know there are multiple threads on electrical issues here but I cannot seem to find the answer for the problem I am having. My fwc fleet battery is hooked up to my car battery and the isolator is showing that it is connected and charging when the truck is running. The electric has been working fine all week and now nothing is working. I thought I may have tripped a breaker or blown a fuse but I have checked them all and they appear fine. The lights on the isolated show it is charging but no power is working in the camper. When I went to use the battery meter it initially lit up then immediately turned off and has not turned on since. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am new to the truck camper world and have zero experience with electric.

Ps. The battery is a agm sealed battery that is only 2 months old

SailorRocco said:
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am new to the truck camper world and have zero experience with electric.

Ps. The battery is a agm sealed battery that is only 2 months old
Too many questions to answer without knowing more. You should learn something about electric wiring before starting to look for your problem. Get a VOM meter. Voltage, Ohms and Milliamps. You do not need to spend a lot of $$ for what you need to do, one of those free coupon ones from Harbor Freight will work, you are not repairing a TV.

Watch several Youtube videos and you will get an idea of what you need to know.

This is a good one to start with.

Best is a local community college and a basic class on electrics.

Good luck with your problem and when you narrow it down to a little you will find lots of good advice on WTW.

You might have a bad connection or a bad battery. Connect a volt meter to various connections from the truck battery to the camper power distribution panel. After load the camper like turning on the fan or fridge and see where along the line of connections the voltage dies. So it sounds like the truck battery is good, then the connection to the isolator, then the distribution panel. It sounds like something after the isolator is loading the system and possible causing the camper battery not to charge. Try eliminating possibilities by removing fuses from the distribution pane. Good Luck.

Thanks for the help everyone. PaulT was right, it ended up my beach chair pushed in the kill switch. I bought the camper used and did not even realize there was a kill switch. I read through the owners Manual but I guess I missed that part. Relieved it was something simple but feel silly for not being able to figure it out myself. Looks like I will have to do some more research on the camper and educate myself on some electrical. Thanks!

Don't ask me why that potential cause came so readily to mind. ;)

I've been thinking that a lighted kill switch might be a good idea. If no light, then switch off.

Paul

Even though you found the problem, I agree with billharr about the importance of owning a digital volt meter. I keep one in my truck and find it invaluable for diagnosing electrical issues that may come up on the road.

Yep-we all overthink to much of the time and getting to be stupid once in a while is part of that WTW/life learning (or relearning) curve. I've think we all have done that at one time or another-next thing ( I just did this after owning my FWC for ten years) is -----when you plug it into shore power, check that the plug/cord is plugged in on the other end too ;)! Despite that check list you follow every time you head out, set up or break down camp, it's so easy to forget something :eek: !

Smoke

Smokecreek1 said:
Yep-we all overthink to much of the time and getting to be stupid once in a while is part of that WTW/life learning (or relearning) curve. I've think we all have done that at one time or another-next thing ( I just did this after owning my FWC for ten years) is -----when you plug it into shore power, check that the plug/cord is plugged in on the other end too ;)! Despite that check list you follow every time you head out, set up or break down camp, it's so easy to forget something :eek: !

Smoke
And Smoke it gets worse as we age,sorry to say.
I do like having a "check list" though.Helps when getting ready to leave a camp site.
Things like 'latches,roof vent closed,and anything left around.
Frank

Ah yes, been there, done that.

I installed a digital readout voltmeter that is on only when the main power switch is "on." Also, it can be seen from the truck cab rear view mirror when underway, I can be sure that the camper body battery is being charged that way.

Bill

100_6468.JPG

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
And Smoke it gets worse as we age,sorry to say.
I do like having a "check list" though.Helps when getting ready to leave a camp site.
Things like 'latches,roof vent closed,and anything left around.
Frank
Yep-Ya got that right Frank-72 and can't wait 'till 73. Gotta keep putting one step in front at a time-focus . Heading up to Fall River Mills area on Wednesday -ever been to the Cassell area before? -near the hatchery for eagle lake trout? Worked in the area for the last 35 years-never knew there was a pg&e campground there-on the creek. Supposed to be a great fly fishing place-learn something every day! No hijack here- :D just getting old! Just remember to plug in the truck on Tuesday!

Smoke

Smokecreek1 said:
Yep-Ya got that right Frank-72 and can't wait 'till 73. Gotta keep putting one step in front at a time-focus . Heading up to Fall River Mills area on Wednesday -ever been to the Cassell area before? -near the hatchery for eagle lake trout? Worked in the area for the last 35 years-never knew there was a pg&e campground there-on the creek. Supposed to be a great fly fishing place-learn something every day! No hijack here- :D just getting old! Just remember to plug in the truck on Tuesday!

Smoke
That's the Buam Lk ,PG&E campground.
Semi primitive,scrub oak trees little shade but a nice ,quiet spot.
We have been to the lake a couple times and drove through the camp. Easy to find and close to the lake.
Have fun
Frank

Back
Top Bottom