Electrically-Conductive Glue?

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
Can anyone point me towards some kind of electrically-conductive glue that I could use to (semi-) permanently attach a couple of electrical leads that keep coming loose?

A couple of the electrical connections of my Isotherm refrigerator have been rattling loose while driving, off and on. One of them is a type of spade connector, and pinching down the female side of the connector worked for a while...until it didn't. The other connection that's occasionally loose is different.

I'm at the point that I just want to glob some glue on the connections to fix the annoying situation...and it seemed to me that electrically-conductive glue -- which would become part of the joint -- would do the trick.

I guess I could use some kind of regular glue/epoxy -- applied to the outside of the connection, if there was some reason against conductive glue.

Kinda urgent -- I'm going camping day-after-tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Thanks. :)

Once upon a time you could run down to Radio Shack and buy a cheap soldering iron (it even came with a little rosin-core solder)... well, Harbor Freight, if there is one near you, has a cheap iron for $4 and solder for $3. Assuming you have room to reach into the location.

I don't know of any electrically conductive glue.

I found something called "Wire Glue"..."soldering gun in a jar"...but not locally available.

I may end up just squirting some non-conductive glue over the connection. -- something strong and flexible.

Bill nailed it. Solder is electrically conductive hot glue. :D

One thing you could try is to apply some strain relief in the form of wire ties to hold the wire firmly against the fridge so there is very little vibration causing the connection to wiggle loose. There are wire tie anchors available that have foam tape to attach the anchor to the fridge. Search for "ty wrap anchor" or "self adhesive wire tie anchors". Any marine/boating vendor should have them.

Paul

I remember seeing a specialty glue at Pep Boys and such made for repairing rear window defrosters that was conductive.

CWD

If strain relieving those connections doesn't do the trick maybe replace those problematic connectors with something more robust, like a Weatherpack, Metri-pack, or Deutcsh?

Permatex Rear Window Defogger electrically conductive tab adhesive. I don't know how to add the link to the product. :(

CWD

Back
Top Bottom