Emergency/Comm Radio Solo Camping

I do a fair amount of solo remote camping in the desert where
I simply cannot walk out if I have a problem. Just turned 61.
I'm interested in a comm/recieve radio for use in an emergency.
Something other 4 wheeler campers might have out there to hear my call.
Something with scan so I can hear where others might be.
Comm to airplanes.
I used to be a pilot so I do have that experience, also I used to have
a CB.
Thanks in advance for your comments.
I go out to Panamint, Death, Saline Valleys, etc. in the Mojave and
always exploring new remote places. Just got back from camping
atop Mengel Pass next to Carl's resting place.
Please don't tell me I'm crazy, I already know that, I believe in being
absolutely as prepared as possible.
Also interested in GPS off the grid info.

Well a handheld aircraft radio is one possibility, not sure of the legality but I don't think that would matter in the case of a true emergency. The other choices that I use are a Spot tracker and a PLB. The Spot costs $100 a year but gives you the option of sending out OK messages to friends/family, a Help message if you are stuck or broke down, as well as an SOS including your GPS location in an emergency. The PLB has no annual cost but is strictly for emergency use. It will transmit your location to a satellite and emergency personel will respond. I have both because my wife and I do whitewater raft trips by ourselves and I want both of us to be able to summon help if we are seperated. I also like having a backup if one system is nonfunctional.

BillM said:
Well a handheld aircraft radio is one possibility, not sure of the legality but I don't think that would matter in the case of a true emergency. The other choices that I use are a Spot tracker and a PLB. The Spot costs $100 a year but gives you the option of sending out OK messages to friends/family, a Help message if you are stuck or broke down, as well as an SOS including your GPS location in an emergency. The PLB has no annual cost but is strictly for emergency use. It will transmit your location to a satellite and emergency personel will respond. I have both because my wife and I do whitewater raft trips by ourselves and I want both of us to be able to summon help if we are seperated. I also like having a backup if one system is nonfunctional.
I've wondered about just carrying an aviation hand held radio also. I have my pilot certificate which give me the right to use the radio frequencies covered and GUARD is always monitored.

thank you, very helpful.
excuse if this is my second reply, new at this and my first answer disappeared.
I will google your suggestions, what are the hardware formats of these?
Aviation band requires a radio station licence, I doubt one could obtain that for
a truck out camping.
An emergency trumps all, but you will answer the FAA later.

thanks to all.
I'm looking at the SPOT Gen3 and others recommended above.
That seems to be an option, any further comments on SPOT Gen3 that
I should consider before buying?

Desert Tortoise said:
An emergency trumps all, but you will answer the FAA later.
Not too worried about the FAA in a real emergency. The pilot certificate give me radio privileges within the US.

FCC rules on comms during an emergency say that there are no rules. Do what it takes to resolve the problem. I can guess how the military might feel about that, no idea how the FAA would react.

ntsqd said:
FCC rules on comms during an emergency say that there are no rules. Do what it takes to resolve the problem. I can guess how the military might feel about that, no idea how the FAA would react.
Using GUARD in an emergency would never be questioned in the military, same with the FAA.

DT,

I've had my Gen1 Spot for years now and although I've never used the SOS function, I've used the OK hundreds of times and it has never let me down. I would think the Gen3 would be just as reliable. The PLB I have is a Mcmurdo Fastfind 210 but it looks like they have replaced it with the 220 which can be had for around $220. Once again I've never had occasion to use it but would expect it to work as advertised.

JHa6av8r,

I have an SEL certificate but haven't flown in years, I also haven't used an aviation handheld. Do you think that you could reach another ground based station that wasn't line of sight with one? I was thinking it might be better to try to contact a flying aircraft to relay emergency messages. What do you think?

BillM said:
JHa6av8r,

I have an SEL certificate but haven't flown in years, I also haven't used an aviation handheld. Do you think that you could reach another ground based station that wasn't line of sight with one? I was thinking it might be better to try to contact a flying aircraft to relay emergency messages. What do you think?
Unless it's line of sight a land station would be tough. I think it's more likely to get someone in the air and assume that what would happen.

Desert Tortoise said:
In Reach looks to be very attractive, thank you.
It works almost anywhere as a status communicator, emergency locator and basic GPS navigator. More capable than a SPOT and better at emergency notifications, too. However, it is not a phone and cannot talk to people nearby. For that you need a FRS/GMRS radio and hope that someone is monitoring channels.

One nice feature of the InReach Explorer is that it can connect with a smartphone or tablet to display accurate location on fairly good topo maps downloaded ahead of time. No cellular signal needed. You can also plan routes and use it for navigation, although I find it clunky compared to a dedicated GPS receiver such as a Garmin. It can be set up to provide updates to a website so that friends or family can monitor your location and status. A monthly subscription is required.

So, several choice for backcountry communications depending on what you want to do and how much complication you can tolerate. A big step up from mirrors and flags that we used to carry.

Back
Top Bottom