Enclosed trailer suspension modification

noteven

I am considering using a single axle enclosed trailer as a moto garage behind the camper. I would be lifting the trailer a bit to get some additional clearance at the rear for mild off pavement travel / ditch and wash clearance. We have a single axle rubber torsion suspension trailer in the family fleet. It rides pretty harshly on roads with cross dips and holes that the single wheels fit into. Has anyone done any suspension mods to a single axle trailer to simmer down this characteristic?

Yup I have a tandem in the fleet but it is too heavy and rides too low.

Ballast like more fresh water and beer etc could be the answer but it makes it heavy.

I want a trailer I can back into a site then turn around by hand or winch so the in and out moto door faces the trail not the trees or bluff.

Thanks

We have a light off-road tent trailer with a Torflex axle under it. The PO had shocks added to it. I think this is an important addition for reasons I'll get into, but it may not be the ride tamer you're looking for.

The rubber is vulcanized to both the inside of the square tube and to the outside of the square shaft. There have been reports, or at least a report of grit getting in there and failing the rubber causing the axle shaft to slip out. If the rubber truly is vulcanized to both pieces of steel then there is no "there" for grit to get into in the first place. My failure analysis is that the grit came along after the vulcanizing failed. Easiest way that I know of to fail vulcanizing is to get it hot. Easier way that I can think of to get the rubber hot is to bomb down a washboard road. The failure reported supposedly happened in Baja.
Adding the shocks takes some of that generated heat and puts it somewhere else, reducing the rubber temperature. Our trailer has seen significant Baja and mainland Mexico travel (Copper Cyn) and is no worse for it.

Our trailer doesn't bounce much on rough surfaces. I think this is mostly due to the tire size and the inflation pressure. The trailer is light enough that even loaded for almost two weeks on the road I managed to tow it 350 miles with less than 10 psi in one of the 33-12.50 tires, and the tire was not hot when I got there! Normal towing pressure with the 33's was 10-15 psi. Any more than that and it did bounce around. the 33's were too much for the trailer though (PO wanted matching tire sizes). I replaced them when the sun had had its way with them with 31-10.50's and normal towing pressure is still about 15 psi or it bounces a lot.

Back
Top Bottom